LADbibleSkip to content
U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Advert

Latest

an hour ago
Advert
3 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

9 hours ago
Advert

Dog Dyed Red Rescued After Being Bought By Man Who 'Really Liked The Colour'

Dog Dyed Red Rescued After Being Bought By Man Who 'Really Liked The Colour'

A dog has been rescued after she was dyed bright red and sold to a man who 'really liked the colour'.

Advert

Animal welfare activists had spotted the dog and were worried that the method used to dye her fur might have harmed her.

Activists immediately whisked away the animal and took her to a nearby shelter.

The dog, nicknamed Scarlet, was spotted on the street with a man who lives in a refugee camp in the Greek town of Schimatari.

Credit: CEN
Credit: CEN

The man had claimed he paid 150 euros (£135) for the dog because he really liked the colour.

Advert

After being taken to the animal shelter, Scarlet was put up for adoption.

She is reportedly doing well after she got a good clean up and was given a brand new home.

Although the colour has not been completely removed, it is unrecognisable in comparison to when she was first brought in.

The colourant was found to be hair dye. A vet said that thankfully the dog's skin did not appear to have been harmed by the reckless stunt.

Credit: CEN
Credit: CEN

The dog's asylum seeking former owner, who was not named, said he had purchased the dog from vendors in the central square of Omonoia in Athens.

Her new owners have since shared pictures of her looking a lot more like her normal self and less like Clifford the Big Red Dog - and she looks a lot happier for it.

Dog owners are strongly warned against using human products like hair dye on dogs as their fur and skin is significantly different to human skin and hair.

Credit: CEN
Credit: CEN

In Florida earlier this year, a dog was nicknamed Violet after being found with fur that had been dyed almost totally purple.

This had left her with life-threatening injuries: the Pinellas County Animal Services (PCAS) said in a post on Facebook that she had been found with her eyes swollen shut, burns on her skin and appearing 'limp and listless'.

After washing as much of the dye off as possible, Violet had to be put under anaesthesia to have her fur shaved off, which is when they realised her skin was shedding as a result of the dye.

Violet took three months to start getting better and has since been happily rehomed with new owners.

The PCAS said human hair dye contains toxic chemicals that can be extremely harmful to dogs and can cause burns, blindness and - because dogs instinctively lick themselves - internal poisoning.

They said: "Only use products specifically meant for pets, or you could be putting your pet's life on the line."

Featured Image Credit: CEN

Topics: News, uk news, Animals

Nathan Standley

Nathan Standley is a freelance journalist and LADBible contributor. He graduated from Durham University with a degree in Anthropology before going on to do a Master’s degree in Journalism at the University of Sheffield. He also writes articles for The Versed and is the Cultural Editor of The Common Sense Network.

Next Up

The Anti-Christ Arrives In First Official Trailer For 'American Horror Story: Apocalypse'

...

a year ago
Steve Coogan 'Stands Up For Passengers' Kicked Out Of First Class On Busy Train

...

a year ago
Amazing Underwater Footage Of Humpback Whale Off Tenerife Coast

...

a year ago
Woman 'Marries' Dead Boyfriend In Ceremony Before His Funeral

...

a year ago