Ant McPartlin Confirms He Will Not Return To 'I’m A Celebrity' For Next Series

Ant McPartlin has confirmed that he will not be returning for the next series of I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here.

In a statement to The Sun, the 42-year-old explained that he would be off work until at least 2019, and also ruled himself out of next year's series of Saturday Night Takeaway because pre-production for that would be kicking off soon.

He said: "My recovery is going very well and for that to continue having spoken to Dec and ITV, I have made the decision to take the rest of the year off.

"I'd like to thank both Dec and ITV for their continued support and I look forward to getting back to work in the new year."

The Sun reports that Dec will instead front I'm A Celeb without Ant. However, it is not yet known whether he will present alone or with a new co-host.

Credit: PA
Credit: PA

Dec said: "Whilst I am obviously sad at the thought of being without my best friend in Australia this year, I am proud of the work Ant has been doing privately and I am fully supportive of his decision.

"I'm looking forward to us both being reunited on screen in 2019."

ITV's Director of Television, Kevin Lygo, said: "ITV is completely supportive of Ant taking as much time as he needs in his recovery and of this mutual decision to rest Takeaway in 2019.

"Ant is clearly making good progress and we wish him all the very best and look forward to him returning to ITV next year.

"An announcement on I'm A Celebrity plans will be made in due course."

McPartlin was arrested in March on suspicion of drink-driving, after being involved in a car accident in Richmond, London. He was questioned by police but was released shortly after.

A family in another car that was also involved sustained minor injuries, after their Mini was almost hit head-on by McPartlin's vehicle as he drove home after a dog walk.

He pleaded guilty to drink driving in April. With 75mcg of alcohol in his bloodstream at the time of arrest, he was double the legal limit.

McPartlin decided to take time away from television while he re-entereted treatment, following last summer's stint in rehab for an alcohol and painkiller addiction.

Following his arrest, one episode of Saturday Night Takeaway was cancelled, but eventually co-host Dec was forced to present the rest of the series alone.

Featured Image Credit: PA

Jess Hardiman

Jess Hardiman is a journalist who graduated from Manchester University with a BA in Film Studies, English Language and Literature, and has previously worked for Time Out and The Skinny among others.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013