Taking your dog for a walk can be a roller-coaster ride at the best of times. On the one hand, your most beloved pal has the time of their life. On the other, there's always the chance they decide to roll in fox shit.
However, most of the time you don't have to worry about them swallowing a stash of class A drugs... most of the time.
Unfortunately for couple Denis and Kathy Parslow, they were faced with this unlikely situation when they recently took their Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Shelby out for a walk.
Their 16-month-old pup is lucky to be alive after he danced with death by swallowing five bags of heroin balloons at a park in Brompton, Adelaide.
"He had something in his mouth which was quite large so I challenged him and he swallowed it," Denis told Daily Mail Australia.
"We went to the beach that day and he was fine. When we got back home he wouldn't jump out of the car and wasn't as active as he normally is."
No shit, the poor pup was going cold turkey.
Soon after Shelby started spewing, so the couple took him to the vets where he was given antibiotics and an injection.
However, when the symptoms didn't subside, the vet decided to operate and that's when they made the shocking discovery - inside his stomach was a gigantic stash of the class A opioid.
Although the drugs had started to leak into his system, luckily the baggies hadn't fully burst.
Denis said: "They put him on Narcan to take away the effects of the drugs that were in his body, which led to a speedy recovery.
"No one else has encountered anything similar and Shelby is lucky to be alive."
Police have reportedly seized the heroin stash and are investigating where it came from.
"When the police saw him, they thought he looked very much unlike a drug mule or a suspect," added Denis.
"(They) kind of fell in love with him as well, I think."
Perhaps they should think about taking on Shelby as a sniffer dog - he's clearly got the nose for it.
Featured Image Credit: 7News