Boy Severed The Tip Of His Finger In School Toilet Door
The family of a young boy who lost the tip of his finger at school say it could have been saved if there had been a first-aider nearby.
Seven-year-old Rhys Pringles lost the tip of his of his little finger, including the nail, after it got caught in a toilet door.
He was taken to Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow where he underwent surgery, but medics were unable to reattach the severed fingertip.
Instead, they had to remove 2mm of bone and close up the injury with a skin graft.
Mum Arlene Stenhouse-don, 36, believes her little boy's finger could have been saved if staff had put it on ice.
Arlene claims there was no first-aider at Harestanes Primary School in Kirkintilloch to help her son when the incident occurred.
She said: "His dad went straight to the school and he was kept waiting for 10 minutes until he could see Rhys.
"We had to ask the school about the severed digit. The teachers had to look for it and found it on the floor in the toilet.
"We went back to the school and my father, who is a retired policeman, asked if they had put it on ice but they had just wrapped it in tissue and put it in the fridge.
"We are left wondering if the severed part had got to the hospital on time they might have been able to save it.
"There are no first aiders at the school. That's the main concern with my other two children there and another one starting this year.
"The school say they never noticed Rhys' finger was severed. I don't how they can say this."
The incident took place during the school's lunch period on 29 April.
"Rhys ran to a member of staff in the playground after the accident," Arlene added.
"I was horrified when I found out a P7 pupil was asked to take him to the office.
"An ambulance should have been called. There must have been blood everywhere.
"Instead, they sat him down and put a tissue on it. The school then called us."
It was dad Steve, 45, who rushed Rhys to Stobhil Hospital, before the boy was transferred to a children's hospital.
Steve said: "I could hear him crying. I then went in and noticed he was chalk white, he was shocked.
"They had a stupid gauze wrapped around the side of his fingers. They didn't even put a plaster on it or put his finger in ice.
"I'm disgusted that my son has lost part of his finger."
Arlene says she has had a meeting with the school since the incident and was told by the headteacher 'no one in the school has first aid knowledge'.
Depute Chief Executive, Education, People & Business, Ann Davie, said: "We are very sorry that this injury occurred and for the distress caused to Rhys and his family.
"We are currently carrying out an investigation into the circumstances of the accident and the concerns raised by the family and will take the appropriate action once the investigation is complete."
Featured Image Credit: SWNS