Madonna Blocks Auction Of Personal Belongings, Including Tupac Letter

The auction of several personal items belonging to Madonna, including underwear, a love letter from Tupac Shakur and a hairbrush, has been blocked at the request of the pop singer.

The order to halt the auction was given by a New York Supreme Court Judge on Tuesday, after the pop music icon said she was 'shocked to learn' of her personal items being sold.

"The fact that I have attained celebrity status as a result of success in my career does not obviate my right to maintain my privacy, including with regard to highly personal items," Madonna said.

The singer, 58, alleged that her possessions had been stolen, after the items were presented for auction by art dealer Darlene Lutz.

Madonna
Madonna

Credit: PA

Madonna claimed that she had 'no idea' the items were no longer in her possession, including a letter written by former boyfriend and iconic rapper Tupac Shakur during his time in prison, which explained that he split with her because of race issues.

"For you to be seen with a black man wouldn't in any way jeopardise your career, if anything it would make you seem that much more open and exciting," the letter reads.

"But for me at least in my previous perception I felt due to my 'image' I would be letting down half of the people who made me what I thought I was.

"I never meant to hurt you."

Madonna has previously confirmed that she dated Shakur when both stars were at the height of their fame, although it is still unclear how long the relationship lasted for.

Madonna
Madonna

Credit: PA

The letter, which Shakur penned while serving time for sexual assault, was sent 18 months before he was fatally shot in a drive-by in Las Vegas and was expected to fetch as much as $400,000 (£307,000).

Also on the list for auction was a hairbrush with traces of Madonna's hair and some worn underwear.

"I understand that my DNA could be extracted from a piece of my hair. It is outrageous and grossly offensive that my DNA could be auctioned for sale to the general public," Madonna said.

A spokesman for the auction house said the decision will be 'vigorously challenged and refuted' in court, after the singer alleged the items were stolen from her while she was 'not in residence'.

"Madonna and her legal army have taken what we believe to be completely baseless and meritless action to temporarily halt the sale of Ms Lutz's legal property," spokesman Pete Siegel told the New York Post.

"We are confident that the Madonna memorabilia will be back."

Sources: BBC News, New York Post

Featured Image Credit: PA

Michael Minay

Mike Minay is a trending journalist at LADbible. He’s co-ordinated interviews with some of the big names from the world of news and sport including ITV’s Robert Peston, Sky Sports’ Jeff Stelling and darts champion Michael van Gerwen. His reporting days began on University radio in Birmingham, before moving to BBC Sport Online – creating content for large events such as Wimbledon and the FA Cup final. Mike still commentates on Football League matches at the weekend. A Manchester LAD at heart.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013