Doctors Remove Knives, Keys And Coins From Man's Stomach

Surgeons removed 80 objects from a man's stomach after he came in complaining of stomach ache and chronic sickness.

After carrying out a CT scan and an X-ray on the 24-year-old man, surgeons at Rabindranath Tagore Hospital in Udaipur, India, discovered dozens of coins, nail cutters, keys, a knife and even glass.

Speaking about the bizarre incident, Dr D K Sharma, head of surgery at the hospital, said the objects were rusted and must have been inside the man for 'some time'.

The man was admitted to hospital after complaining of stomach pains. Credit: SWNS
The man was admitted to hospital after complaining of stomach pains. Credit: SWNS

The specialist said: "We investigated him by doing an upper endoscopy, CT scan and x-ray of his abdomen and intestinal area, and noticed foreign objects in his abdomen and colon.

"We surgically opened the stomach and were surprised to see various objects, ranging from coins, chillums (short clay pipes used for smoking marijuana), nail cutters, some glass objects, keys, key rings, a necklace, a hair clip, a knife blade, safety pin [and] a spectacle-neck-chord-strap."

According to the patient's family, he was referred to the hospital by doctors at another medical practice.

Surgeons pulled 80 items out of the 24-year-old man. Credit: SWNS
Surgeons pulled 80 items out of the 24-year-old man. Credit: SWNS

Dr Sharma, added: "The metallic objects we retrieved were all rusted, indicating that he had been swallowing them for quite some time now.

"It is unusual to find such large number of sharp objects in a person's abdomen. We have not evaluated his psychological condition at this point of time.

"As of now, our priority is his recovery from the surgery."

But this isn't the first time doctors have had to remove a string of bizarre objects from patients.

The bizarre haul included coins, knives and keys. Credit: SWNS
The bizarre haul included coins, knives and keys. Credit: SWNS

Last month, a teenager in China had had a set of 29 magnetic balls removed from his bladder, three months after shoving them up his penis.

The 13-year-old, known as Lin, reportedly suffered severe abdominal pains for weeks after placing the objects inside himself but was too embarrassed to tell his parents what he had done.

I bet he was.

The 13-year-old is said to have had the balls inside him for three months. Credit: AsiaWire
The 13-year-old is said to have had the balls inside him for three months. Credit: AsiaWire

Meanwhile, another man was said to have been millimetres from death after a toothpick had to be removed from his body.

Doctors had to operate on the man after a toothpick he had swallowed four years earlier became lodged in his heart.

The man, known only as Zhou, had been struggling with his health for several years and spent a bunch of cash searching for answers to find out what was causing his regular lung inflammations and high fevers.

Featured Image Credit: swns

Dominic Smithers

Dominic graduated from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History. Like you, Dom has often questioned how much use a second language has been. Well, after stints working at the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express, along with never setting foot in France, he realised the answer is surprisingly little. But I guess, c'est la vie. Contact us at [email protected]

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013