LADbibleSkip to content
U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Advert

Latest

2 hours ago
Advert
3 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

7 hours ago
Advert

Firefighters Save Dog Trapped In Boiling Hot Car During Heatwave

Firefighters Save Dog Trapped In Boiling Hot Car During Heatwave

Firefighters had to rescue a dog trapped in a hot car with no windows open this week, as temperatures soared during the UK's heatwave.

Bertie the Cockapoo was left in the car unsupervised and in direct sunlight on the top roof of a multi-storey car park in Saffron Walden, Essex, as temperatures rose to heights of 30°C on Friday (28 June).

Advert

It's worth bearing in mind that when it's this hot outside, the inside of a car can reach a potentially fatal 54°C in just an hour, with charity Dogs Trust warning that pets can die in just 20 minutes if left in a hot car, even if the windows are open - which in this case they were not.

The emergency services were called to the scene to rescue the pup after a Waitrose staff member couldn't spot the owner who was reportedly shopping in the store.

The car's window was smashed to release Bertie. Credit: Facebook/Saffron Walden Fire Station
The car's window was smashed to release Bertie. Credit: Facebook/Saffron Walden Fire Station

When firefighters arrived, they said Bertie was 'in distress due to the intense heat' and they were forced to break into the car to get him out, adding that little Bertie was lucky to be alive and wouldn't have survived had the staff member not alerted them.

Advert

Saffron Walden Fire Station officials have since informed local police about the incident and are now urging owners to look after their pets and be aware of their welfare as the UK reaches its hottest time of the year.

In the Facebook post they wrote: "Today we rescued a Cokerpoo [sic] Dog called Bertie from the top deck of Waitrose multi story park car in SW by breaking a window to release him."

Bertie was rescued thanks to a member of staff at Waitrose. Credit: Facebook/Saffron Walden Fire Station
Bertie was rescued thanks to a member of staff at Waitrose. Credit: Facebook/Saffron Walden Fire Station

It continued: "The dog was in distress due to the intense heat within a parked car in direct sunlight with no open windows. Please always keep your pet's welfare and safety in mind particularly during this hot spell.

"With the recent high profile incident in Saffron Walden we are surprised the message is still not getting through when it comes to leaving children and pets in hot vehicles.

"Thankfully Bertie survived to tell the tale! We thank Waitrose staff for their support with trying to help locate the owner and for providing much needed water for Bertie. The incident has been reported to Essex Police."

Earlier this month firefighters smashed through a window to save a toddler. Credit: SWNS/Cheryl Thomas
Earlier this month firefighters smashed through a window to save a toddler. Credit: SWNS/Cheryl Thomas

The 'high profile' incident in question refers to a similar story that made the headlines last week, where firefighters were forced to smash through a car window to rescue a toddler who had been left alone in a hot car in Saffron Walden.

The 18-month-old had been left alone 'for more than an hour' despite temperatures in the area reaching 25 degrees. The time was indicated by a parking ticket stub on the dashboard of the car.

It was only one week ago when they warned: "We cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to leave any person, child or animal locked in a car in this heat."

Featured Image Credit: Facebook/Saffron Walden Fire Station

Topics: News, Firefighters, Pet, Dog, uk news, Essex, hot, heatwave, Car

Daisy Phillipson

Daisy is a UK-based freelance journalist with too many opinions. She loves everything film and music-related and has a track record writing for Little White Lies, BWRC, and Film Daily. Contact her at [email protected]

Next Up

Liam Gallagher Seems To Approve Of Lewis Capaldi's Trolling Of Brother Noel

...

2 months ago
Liam Gallagher Dedicates His Final Song To Keith Flint At Glastonbury 2019

...

2 months ago
Hay Fever Sufferers Claim Vaseline Is A Miracle 'Cure'

...

2 months ago
Bird Spotted Feeding Chick Cigarette Butt In 'Tragic' Photograph

...

2 months ago