Funeral Forced To Redirect To Hospital After 'Muffled Cries' Come From Coffin

Being an undertaker must be a pretty tough job, spending your days with dead bodies and grieving relatives, long hours and an odd look on people's faces when you tell them what you do for a living.

And, as if all of that wasn't bad enough, the odd noisy corpse can crop up, causing you to stop the funeral procession mid-way.

Well, that's what happened to one unfortunate undertaker working in Buenos Aires, Argentina this week anyway.

According to local reports, a group of mourners were on their way to the funeral of a 65-year-old woman when they were forced to take a detour to the hospital after banging noises and muffled cries could be heard coming from the coffin.

Relatives shouted up to alert the undertaker to the sounds, who then decided to take the coffin to medics.

In footage shot at the scene they can be seen crowded around the back of the hearse while family members look on.

However, once they arrived at the Blas L. Dubarry Hospital and the body was checked over, doctors confirmed that the 65-year-old was dead and had been for 'at least 24 hours'.

It's not known what caused the noises the family say they heard, but it is presumed that they were either mistaken about the source of the sounds, or that they were caused by a buildup of gasses or the stiffening of muscles - including the vocal cords, which can occur after death.

Medics said the woman was definitely dead and had been for 'at least 24 hours'. Credit: CEN
Medics said the woman was definitely dead and had been for 'at least 24 hours'. Credit: CEN

Earlier this year, a woman in South Africa reportedly woke up in a mortuary fridge after being in a car crash after which medics had declared her dead.

The woman, who chose to remain anonymous, was involved in a 'horrific' car crash, ambulance service Distress Alert arrived at the scene in Carletonville, Gauteng and declared the woman dead alongside two other people who were in the car.

The bodies were taken to a nearby morgue, but while checking in the bodies one member of staff at the mortuary noticed that one of the bodies was breathing, TimesLive reported.

Distress Alert's operations manager, Gerrit Bradnick, said he had 'no idea' how it happened.

He went on to say that equipment used by the team showed no signs of life and that there was 'no proof of any negligence'.

But the woman's family were less than impressed with one family member telling the BBC: "The issue is that we need answers, that's all we want and we don't have any clarity now."

Featured Image Credit: CEN

Claire Reid

Claire Reid is a journalist at LADbible. Claire graduated from Liverpool John Moores University with a BA in journalism. She’s previously worked at Trinity Mirror. Since joining LADbible, Claire has worked on pieces for the UOKM8? mental health campaign, the Yemen crisis, life in the Calais Jungle as well as a profile of a man who is turning himself into a cyborg.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013