Girl Faces Blindness After 'Massive Mistake' Eye Tattoo Goes Horribly Wrong

We'll put this warning straight at the top of the page. For those of a nervous disposition when it comes to eyes and tattoos gone wrong - you may wish to read other, less graphic articles. I've listed a few below for you:

Right, so you've chosen to read on. Here we go...

A Canadian model has lost the sight in her right eye after a tattoo procedure, designed to remove the whites of the eye, went badly wrong.

Here, Catt Gallinger explains the situation in a video posted to Facebook:


Credit: Facebook / Catt Gallinger

The tattoo, which is known as a sclera tattoo after the part of the body it focuses on, sees a practitioner colour the eye, and the individual becomes part of the 'bio-hackers' or body modders.

Catt, from Ottawa, Ontario, has been recovering slowly for the past month, and has now labelled the decision to get the tattoo as a 'massive mistake'. She initially wanted the tattoo to help her feel 'more at home' in her body.

The 24-year-old has now shared the results on social media, as reported by the Sun, in a warning to others.

The images, posted to her Facebook account, show the former pet nutritionist in various stages of recovery.

eye model
eye model

Credit: Facebook / Catt Gallinger

Catt initially went to hospital complaining of a purple discharge coming from her eye. Antibiotics were prescribed, but after receiving treatment her eye became swollen shut.

Steroid drops were then given as a next step, but the tattoo began to congeal around her cornea which resulted in blurred vision and serious discomfort.

She told the Sun that she had spent hundreds of dollars on prescriptions to date, and has had to put her modelling career on hold.

eye model
eye model

Credit: Facebook / Catt Gallinger

Her warning is to "look into not just the artist and their portfolio, but to talk to some of their clients, talk to other artists about them and get experiences beforehand."

She has been told by physicians that her vision may never fully recover, and that permanent damage is likely; surgery can prevent it from getting worse, but it may not heal.

Doctors believe that the size of the needle, depth and the type of ink used caused the initial symptoms, with excess ink holding the infection.

eye model
eye model

Credit: Facebook / Catt Gallinger

Further to that, Catt's eye became contaminated through a tattoo needle that had not been properly sterilised.

The website has a blog dedicated to 'first time tattoos', providing a checklist in the build-up to getting yourself inked.

It includes useful tips such as: don't rush, research the shop, research design ideas ahead of time, question, consider placement, don't be too thrifty, take care of yourself, and mentally prepare.

Featured Image Credit: Facebook / Catt Gallinger

Michael Minay

Mike Minay is a trending journalist at LADbible. He’s co-ordinated interviews with some of the big names from the world of news and sport including ITV’s Robert Peston, Sky Sports’ Jeff Stelling and darts champion Michael van Gerwen. His reporting days began on University radio in Birmingham, before moving to BBC Sport Online – creating content for large events such as Wimbledon and the FA Cup final. Mike still commentates on Football League matches at the weekend. A Manchester LAD at heart.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013