​Man Pleads Guilty To Beating His Girlfriend After She Downloaded Snapchat


A 21-year-old man who beat his girlfriend to a pulp over an argument about Snapchat will be sentenced today.

Dameon Marmolejo saw a Snapchat message on 18-year-old Solidad Torres's phone, and accused her of cheating on him.

He then lay into her in a brutal attack that left her unconscious and hospitalised, and covered in bruises shaped like the imprint of his shoes.

Marmolejo was arrested in August last year and appeared in Lubbock County Court in Texas yesterday.

He has been accused of inflicting serious bodily harm on his girlfriend.

Credit: Lubbock County Detention Center
Credit: Lubbock County Detention Center

The couple met each other on Snapchat, but she deleted the app when they got together. The incident took place after he realised she had re-installed the messaging app, assuming that she was cheating on him.

The details of what followed are brutal.

Torres told police that her now ex-boyfriend became enraged after seeing a Snapchat message flash up on her phone. She was at home at the time.

He first slapped her across the face, before throwing her to the ground and beginning to beat her.

Credit: Torres family
Credit: Torres family

She flipped over to try and protect herself, but he continued to punch her sides and torso.

He stomped on the back of her head so hard that he left shoe-shaped bruises - the authorities later matched the bruises to a pair of his shoes and used it as evidence against him.

Torres managed to get away from him and ran to the bathroom, but he got in there with her and slammed her head against the bathtub until she fell unconscious, according to KCBD.

She was hospitalised and needed 15 staples to close a gaping wound on her head.

Credit: Torres family
Credit: Torres family

Marmolejo was arrested after the prints of his shoes were matched with the bruising pattern on the young woman's body.

He has pleaded guilty to the charges and will receive his sentence today.

Photos released of the victim show her hair matted with dry blood, a gaping wound in her head that's easily three inches wide, and an eye that appears to be puffy and bruised.

As well as the 15 staples, she needed three stitches in her head.

Credit: Torres family
Credit: Torres family

Torres' mother shared the details via Facebook shortly after the incident occurred, and has since been actively campaigning against domestic violence.

In her post, she revealed that it was Marmolejo who called 911 after Torres fell unconscious, then fled the scene.

"No person, no matter the circumstances deserves this or any other person's act of physical violence," she wrote.

Featured Image Credit: Lubbock County Detention Center / Torres family

Daisy Jackson

Daisy Jackson is a freelance writer, who has previously worked at Shortlist Media and Trinity Mirror. She has written about the Manchester terror attacks and appeared on BBC Five live to discuss the aftermath, as well as interviewing an orthopaedic surgeon in Syria.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013