Firefighters Issue Warning After Fire Started By Reflective Table

As the UK basks in sunshine and soaring temperatures, firefighters have issued a warning to people to be careful with reflective surfaces after a house was left burnt out when a glass table sparked a fire.

Staffordshire fire crews were called to a property in Knyperseley at around 3.40pm yesterday after a fire broke out due to strong sunlight bouncing off the glass table.

Firefighters are now urging others to be mindful of glass and mirrored surfaces as the mercury rises.

The crew, armed with breathing apparatus and hose reel jets, were able to get the blaze under control and, fortunately, the resident was able to get out the property safely.

A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "Crews from Newcastle and Kidsgrove attended and the detached property was well alight on arrival.

"Some of the decking at the back of the house had to be cut away as crews extinguished the fire.

"It was caused by sunlight reflecting on a glass table outside in the back garden.

"The occupier was upstairs by managed to get out of the house safely.

"Please take care during this heatwave and be mindful of keeping reflective items, such as mirrors or glass, out of direct sunlight."

The UK has been hit with a number of fires during the recent heatwave. One fire, on Saddleworth Moor, Tameside has been blazing since 24 June.

Exhausted firefighters have been 'pushed to their limits', according to union chiefs, who say that some crew members have been working 17-hour shifts in an attempt to get the fire under control.

There has also been a separate major fire on nearby Winter Hill, near to Bolton.

Winter Hill, near Bolton. Credit: PA
Winter Hill, near Bolton. Credit: PA

In total more than 200 firefighters have been working around the clock to tackle the moor fires, putting a serious strain on resources.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue are urging people to be careful to avoid adding extra pressure on the teams.

Manager Jim Hutton told the Guardian: "While you are enjoying the World Cup this evening, please think of our crews who are continuing to tackle two major moorland fires.

"With this in mind, please don't make their job any harder by leaving barbecues unattended or cooking whilst drinking alcohol."

Featured Image Credit: Twitter/Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service

Claire Reid

Claire Reid is a journalist at LADbible. Claire graduated from Liverpool John Moores University with a BA in journalism. She’s previously worked at Trinity Mirror. Since joining LADbible, Claire has worked on pieces for the UOKM8? mental health campaign, the Yemen crisis, life in the Calais Jungle as well as a profile of a man who is turning himself into a cyborg.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013