Nine-Year-Old Boy Fought Terminal Cancer Long Enough To Meet New Baby Sister

A little boy with terminal cancer kept fighting long enough to meet his new baby sister and pick her name, before tragically passing away, his parents have revealed.

Nine-year-old Bailey Cooper was given just 'days or weeks' to live after being told his cancer had spread through his entire body, but he defied doctors and went on to meet his little sister.

His heartbroken parents Lee and Rachel were given the devastating news that their son had cancer back in 2016, the Bristol Post reports.

Credit: SWNS
Credit: SWNS

Doctors initially treated little Bailey for a viral infection and then a chest infection, before giving him blood tests and finding out that it was non-Hodgkin lymphoma. By the time it was diagnosed it was already stage three.

Bailey underwent chemotherapy immediately, combined with steroid treatment, and doctors were hopeful that he would make a recovery. By February 2017, he had gone into remission.

Dad Lee told the paper: "He had to go in for regular check ups and routine MRIs every three months, but things were looking up."

Credit: SWNS
Credit: SWNS

However, after having an MRI, Bailey and his family were called back to the doctors where they were told he had relapsed. The devastated were family that the prognosis was not good, but that there was around a 70 percent survival rate.

"He went into chemo again," Lee said. "The doctors threw the book at it, and told us even if he survived it, the long-term effects will last for the rest of his life. He had a stem cell transplant.

"We had to try everything we could."

Credit: SWNS
Credit: SWNS

The brave little boy carried on fighting and in July went back into remission. He was able to spend an 'amazing' six weeks at home with his family, mum Rachel told the paper.

But at the end of the August, Baily would once again be told he had cancer, and this time doctors told the family there was nothing that could be done.

Tragically, the cancer had spread and they were given the heart-breaking news that Bailey had just 'days or weeks' left.

 Credit: SWNS
Credit: SWNS

Rachel said: "We didn't think he would last that long, but he was determined to meet Millie. It got to the end of November, and Millie was born.

"He hugged her and did everything an older brother would do - change her, wash her, sing to her."

Speaking about his little sister, Bailey told his parents: "I want to stay but it's my time to go to become her guardian angel."

He was taken to hospital on 22 December, and died on Christmas Eve with his family at his bedside.

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Claire Reid

Claire Reid is a journalist at LADbible. Claire graduated from Liverpool John Moores University with a BA in journalism. She’s previously worked at Trinity Mirror. Since joining LADbible, Claire has worked on pieces for the UOKM8? mental health campaign, the Yemen crisis, life in the Calais Jungle as well as a profile of a man who is turning himself into a cyborg.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013