LADbibleSkip to content
U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Advert

Latest

3 hours ago
Advert
3 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

5 hours ago
Advert

'No Responsibility Taken' Three Years After Young Woman Was Blinded By Dodgy Holiday Drink

'No Responsibility Taken' Three Years After Young Woman Was Blinded By Dodgy Holiday Drink

It has been three years since Hannah Powell woke up to realise that she had lost her sight after a bar crawl with two friends in Zante, Greece, and still no responsibility has been taken.

Hannah, now 23, had been ordering and drinking vodka which was - unbeknown to her - mixed with deadly methanol.

Advert

Hannah realised what was happening when she woke up and thought the lights in her hotel room were off. Following this, her kidneys shut down and she went blind.

Speaking to BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat, she said: "I suggested we open the curtains and my friends said they were already open. I just thought they were joking so I got up to turn the light on.

"That's when I started to panic because that's when I realised it was on and I just couldn't see anything."

Hannah on holiday in Zante. Credit: RNIB
Hannah on holiday in Zante. Credit: RNIB
Advert

Hospital tests confirmed that Hannah had toxic methanol poisoning after being served unregulated vodka. Three years on and still no responsibility has been taken for what happened.

Hannah believes that unsafe alcohol is still being sold in party resorts, adding: "The fact that no-one wants to take responsibility, I didn't expect them to, but I think someone should.

"Either the bar knew they had dodgy alcohol or someone made the dodgy alcohol. Either way, it was nothing to do with me and I wouldn't have drank it if I knew."

Hannah's mum told The Sun: "I hope whoever put methanol in my daughter's drink to make a few quid realises the dreadful consequences. I hope one day they are brought to justice."

Hannah was determined to lead a normal life after losing her sight. Credit: RNIB
Hannah was determined to lead a normal life after losing her sight. Credit: RNIB

As well as losing her sight, the medical receptionist was relying on dialysis. That was until her mum went under the knife to donate her a kidney.

Hannah from North Ormesby, Teesside, told The Sun: "Since that holiday my life has been unimaginably tough. Not only have I been left blind but I've been reliant on machines to keep my kidneys going.

"We have always been close but I would never have imagined that one day mum would save my life. Now we have the ultimate bond. My mum is my hero."

Sight loss charity, Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB), supported Hannah when it came to returning to work by providing her with equipment such as magnifiers to help her read again.

Hannah says that over time her eyesight has gone from 'completely black' to 'very foggy', she struggles to do a lot of things on her own and, according to the BBC, she's hoping to get a guide dog to give her more independence.

Featured Image Credit: RNIB

Topics: News, uk news

Rebecca Shepherd

I'm Becky - a journalist at LADbible. I graduated with a First Class BA in Journalism before going on to cover criminal court cases, medical tribunals and breaking news for the national media - which inevitably and eventually became as glum as it sounds. Can often be found rocking a bag for life - which I made a 'thing' way before Rihanna. You can contact me at [email protected]

Next Up

Fifteen Per Cent Of Brits Love Their Pet More Than Their Partner

...

7 months ago
​Zoo Sparks Fury For Letting Children Play Tug Of War With Tiger And Lion

...

7 months ago
Teen Who's Trying For Kids With 62-Year-Old Grandad Speaks Out After 'Child Snatcher' Comments

...

7 months ago
My 600lbs Life Star Sean Milliken Dies Aged 29

...

7 months ago