Woman Says Her Lips Quadrupled In Size After Botched Filler

A woman is warning people to take care after a botched filler injection caused her lips to quadruple in size.

Rachael Knappier feared she would lose her top lip and said nurses laughed at her during the 'terrifying ordeal'.

Speaking on This Morning, the 29-year-old said she was given the injections at a Botox party after a friend had recommended it.

She said: "It was fine. I went to bed. I woke up at two in the morning and saw what you see in those pictures.

"My lips touched my nose. They quadrupled in size. The pressure and burning on my lips was unbelievable."

Rachael says a friend had recommended the procedure to her. Credit: Facebook
Rachael says a friend had recommended the procedure to her. Credit: Facebook

Frightened, Rachael rushed to A&E but says hospital staff couldn't believe what had happened to her and burst out laughing.

She said: "They hadn't seen anything like it before. I've turned up to A&E with this huge thing on my face.

"I'm telling them I'm having an allergic reaction, which is what I thought was happening. Three doctors said I'd actually had the filler injected into my artery."

Three days after the botched injection, Rachael's lips finally went back down to normal size, but she is now campaigning for tighter regulations surrounding the procedure and wants to warn of the dangers, saying: "Protect before you inject."

The 29-year-old was on the show to warn people of the dangers of lip fillers. Credit: ITV
The 29-year-old was on the show to warn people of the dangers of lip fillers. Credit: ITV

According to the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS), there has been a steep rise in the number of unregulated procedures - often with no qualifications required to administer filler injections in the UK.

Dr Tijon Esho joined Rachael in the studio and revealed he had been contacted by children as young as 13 looking for lip fillers.

The doctor said Rachael was lucky not to have lost her top lip and urged people to only ever have the procedure done by a medical professional.

He warned: "She was lucky it was identified as this and had the right agent to dissolve the filler. Many people have life-changing injuries because of this."

She says nurses laughed at her when she went to A&E. Credit: Facebook
She says nurses laughed at her when she went to A&E. Credit: Facebook

Rachael is not the first person in recent months to have fallen victim to botched Botox.

Last year a young mum warned people against lip filler treatment after she says her swollen lips left her looking like the 'Elephant Man'.

Billie Roocroft, 23, had never been happy with her 'thin' lips and after seeing celebs flaunt their own, she decided to go for a fuller look.

But she says the £120 ($94) offer for 1ml of filler, which was given in her living room by a mum and daughter, left her swollen, in pain, and racing to A&E.

Featured Image Credit: ITV

Dominic Smithers

Dominic graduated from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History. Like you, Dom has often questioned how much use a second language has been. Well, after stints working at the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express, along with never setting foot in France, he realised the answer is surprisingly little. But I guess, c'est la vie. Contact us at [email protected]

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013