LADbibleSkip to content
U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Advert

Latest

2 hours ago
Advert
3 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

7 hours ago
Advert

Move Over, Tide Pods: The 'Hot Coil Challenge' Is Here And It's Grim

Move Over, Tide Pods: The 'Hot Coil Challenge' Is Here And It's Grim

WARNING: CONTAINS DISTRESSING CONTENT

There was a time, a happier, more innocent time, in which the Internet was a place of naive, well-meaning dares: Scottish builders weightlifting bags of cement, only to have the the stuff pour over their heads. American jocks swallowing the world's hottest sauce. Russian nerds trying to blend bricks... they were truly the salad days of Internet stupidity.

Advert

Of course, there always has to be someone to take it too far. A golden rule of the Internet is that there is always someone out there who knows more about a subject than you - and if the subject in question is burning your own arm on a stove, then you better believe that there is someone who can do better than you.

And with that, we present 'the hot coil challenge'.

WARNING: CONTAINS DISTRESSING CONTENT

The 'challenge' began on Reddit, the repository of all that is good and bad about the Internet and begins auspiciously with the caption: "Well that was fucking stupid." Too right.

Advert

In the video, a long-haired man in a CKY t-shirt - if you're drawing comparisons to a member of the Margera family, you'd better be about to do something really, really mindless and dangerous - is standing by a burning hob ring.

Egged on by his mate, he proceeds to stick his forearm right on the red hot ring, with predictable results.

He lasts a fair few seconds of screaming before hopping off in pain, his arm clearly burned. Presumably the scar will serve as a tattoo, and - assuming he lives long enough, which might be a stretch on this evidence - it'll be interesting to hear how he explains that one to his grandchildren in years to come.

The Internet being the Internet, this isn't even the first highly dangerous craze to take hold in 2018, and we're still barely past January. The Tide Pod eating fad has yet to subside, with teenagers snacking away on dishwasher tablets and finding themselves in casualty as a result.

A video was recently released explaining how one kid recently ate three Tide Pods and, well, we'll let the doctor in the vid take over: "After putting three pods in his mouth, he felt a slight burning sensation waft up into his nose. Huddled over the sink, JR was prepared to spit out the detergent as soon as he started biting.

"But as soon as he chewed down on the pods, biting into the vinyl plastic, laundry detergent poured into his mouth. He was suddenly overcome by a severe burning and numbing sensation on his tongue. JR began coughing and retching and detergent began to seep down into his throat."

Yeah, it sounds a bit Brass Eye, but seriously kids: don't go eating dishwasher tablets and don't stick your arms on the kitchen top.

(I can't believe I had to type that.)

Featured Image Credit: Jellaluna (Creative Commons)

Topics: News, Viral, Tide Pod Challenge, world news, Internet, dangerous, Reddit

Mike Wood

Mike Meehall Wood is a freelance journalist and translator. He writes for LADbible, VICE and countless sports publications, focusing on rugby league, football and boxing. He is a graduate of Leeds University and maintains a fizzy pop obsession. Contact Mike at [email protected]

Next Up

Logan Paul Attracts Further Controversy By Tasering Dead Animals In New Video

...

2 years ago
Greggs Is Doing A Four-Course Valentine’s Day Meal With Prosecco For £15

...

2 years ago
Will Smith Parodies His Son Jaden's 'Icon' In Latest Instagram Post

...

2 years ago
Morgue Worker Found To Have Had Sex With Dead Reality Star

...

2 years ago