Apparently We're Working An Extra 38 Days Per Year Unpaid
British employees work an average of 38 working day above their paid contract every year, according to a new study.
Researchers found workers actually graft for an incredible extra 305 hours and 30 minutes each year - often unpaid and unappreciated.
The study of 2,000 working adults shows that, on average, people start work at least 17 minutes before they're officially meant to, only take 31 minutes of their hour lunch break and leave the building 16 minutes after they should.
Video credit: SWNS
In addition, people will spend a further 16 minutes at home sifting through emails, before and after work.
This hard work equates to overtime of one hour and 18 minutes every day - that's six hours and 30 minutes each week.
When asked why they work above and beyond the call of duty, 41 per cent admit they feel it's the only way they can do their job properly.
Six in 10 people claim they are expected to work additional hours and put in overtime as and when necessary, with only five per cent of these people enjoying more money as a result.
While 33 per cent of employees are made to feel guilty if they leave the office first at the end of the day.
However, the study shows there are some positive aspects about the long hours worked by staff in Britain.
Forty-five per cent are confident that their boss can differentiate between those workers who only work the hours they are paid, and those who always do extra.
However, putting in extra hours does take its toll - and 54 per cent of people admit they are often absolutely exhausted by the end of the working week. With a fifth of people feel at times they need a complete overhaul of their work life balance.
TOP 10 REASONS FOR WORKING UNPAID OVERTIME
1. It is the only way I can get my job done properly
2. I cannot manage my workload on my contracted hours
3. We are understaffed at work so I have no choice
4. I want to be the best at what I do, and that requires a little extra effort
5. I love my job
6. I feel I need to impress my boss / management
7. I feel my job is safer if I go above and beyond the call of duty
8. I find it hard to switch off from work when I leave the office
9. I'm trying to work my way up the career ladder and this is the way to do it
10. Morale is good at work so we're all quite keen to work longer hours
Featured image credit: PA Images