LADbibleSkip to content
U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Advert

Latest

23 minutes ago
Advert
an hour ago
Advert

Most Popular

4 hours ago
Advert

​Epic Games To Rival Steam With New, Developer-Sided Gaming Store

​Epic Games To Rival Steam With New, Developer-Sided Gaming Store

Epic Games, developer of the world's most played game, Fortnite, has announced plans to launch a dedicated gaming store.

But this store won't be any ordinary online haven of new and old titles. Well, it will, but it's going to be a lot less expensive for developers to sell their projects on, compared to the biggest stores out there.

Advert

As noted in a blog post yesterday, the PC and Mac store, which is coming "soon," will share 88% of a game's sales revenue with the studio in question, with the remaining 12% going to Epic.

Side by side with Valve's Steam costs, this represents a massive difference for developers. Steam charges 30% in revenue from game sales, and 25% and 20% for ones that sell $10 and $50 million units, respectively.

"As a developer ourselves, we've always wanted access to a store with fair revenue-sharing that gives us direct access to our customers," Tim Sweeney, founder and CEO of Epic Games, told Variety. "Now that we've built such a store, and Fortnite has brought in a huge audience of PC gamers, we're working to open it up to all developers."

Don't expect it to immediately push ahead of Steam, though. (Like that's be possible, anyway.) The Unreal Engine developer is "starting small, with a hand-picked set of games at launch". Fortnite, naturally, will be among those making the cut.

Advert

"We plan to grow throughout early 2019 and open the store up more widely later on. We'll have an approval process for new developers to go through to release a title. It will mostly focus on the technical side of things and general quality. Except for adult-only content, we don't plan to curate based on developers' creative or artistic expression," Sweeney explained.

Epic also notes how games developed with all engines are welcome on its store - not just those on its very own Unreal Engine - among many intriguing benefits for developers. "As a developer, you control your game page and your newsfeed. There will be no store-placed ads or cross-marketing of competing games on your page, and no paid ads in search results.

"YouTube content creators, Twitch streamers, bloggers, and others are at the leading edge of game discovery. The 10,000-strong Epic Games Support-A-Creator program helps you reach creators, so they can help you reach players. If you opt to participate, creators who refer players to buy your game will receive a share of the revenue that you set (tracked by code or affiliate marketing link). To jumpstart the creator economy, Epic will cover the first 5% of creator revenue-sharing for the first 24 months."

Epic Games To Rival Steam With Cheaper Gaming Store. Credit: Epic Games
Epic Games To Rival Steam With Cheaper Gaming Store. Credit: Epic Games

The company said more details will be announced during The Game Awards 2018, which take place on 6 December. Make sure you tune into its dedicated livestream to find out more.

What do you think about this news? Will it take off? Are you a developer? Should Steam percentages follow suit? Let us know.

Featured Image Credit: Epic Games

Topics: Technology, epic games, Entertainment, Cheap, Valve, Store, Steam

Matthew McGladdery

Matthew McGladdery graduated with a BA in Broadcast Journalism from Salford University, where he worked at Revolution 96.2, Global Radio, and Fleetwood F.C. When he left university, he took on the role of co-editor for the Salfordian and worked as freelancer for the likes of BBC Sport. He continues to work in sport but loves talking all things Xbox, PS4, and PC just as much.

Next Up

Biggest Battle In TV History Will Take Place In Third Episode Of Final 'Game Of Thrones' Season

...

9 months ago
This Huge Hogwarts Castle Is The Biggest LEGO Harry Potter Set Ever Released

...

9 months ago
​New Tony Hawk Skateboarding Game 'Skate Jam' Out Next Week

...

9 months ago
People Say 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' Is Too Offensive For 2018

...

9 months ago