​Fallout 76 Campaign Details Revealed By Bethesda, Nukes Away

Bethesda's Tom Howard has revealed new details regarding Fallout 76's campaign, in which story plays as big a role as online multiplayer mayhem.

If you didn't already know, Fallout 76 is like unlike anything else the post-apocalyptic series has offered before. For a start, it won't be a single-player release - gameplay is all online.

However, Howard previously said 76 is "80 percent the Fallout everyone is used to, and the other 20 percent is really different," but how? Well, that's because the franchise's iconic storytelling hasn't gone anywhere, players will just see it unfold through an all new system.

In an interview with Game Informer, Howard says the campaign begins with Vault 76's Overseer mysteriously vanishing. Apparently, "she left before everybody," but has sent a secret transmission, alongside instructions, to your character.

These instructions will lead players to complete various tasks and challenges throughout the Fallout 76 universe, which results in discovering powerful nuclear codes - a kind of endgame reward. We've previously mentioned 76's nukes but, unfortunately, you can't target other players with them. Instead, they can be fired at certain areas and warnings will appear on people's mini-maps. No fun, Bethesda.

As this is primarily an online survival RPG, rare and powerful loot will spawn wherever the nuke strikes, and any players caught in the cross-hair will suffer the dire consequence. In other words, they're radiated toast.

Credit: Bethesda
Credit: Bethesda

The campaign may sound simple and linear, but 76 is described as "a lengthy, multi-part story that takes players across West Virginia," so prepare for it to be the complete opposite.

Just remember, every person you see in the online world is an another player, and at least 50% of them will probably want to kill you. This might be enough to put some gamers off, especially those who enjoy single-player titles, but don't worry - Bethesda has put precautions in place to stop these party poopers.

In terms of game length, they've put a "scary amount of stuff" in 76, according to project lead Jeff Gardiner [via DenOfGeek]. As with most RPG titles, side quests will be "proactive" in pushing players towards other interesting content that doesn't revolve around the main campaign, and they'll probably reward you with great loot, too.

via GIPHY

So, what do you think about this news? What would you like to see in the online survival? Are you looking forward to it? Let us know.

Fallout 76 is set to release on 14 November for Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

Featured Image Credit: Bethesda

Matthew McGladdery

Matthew McGladdery graduated with a BA in Broadcast Journalism from Salford University, where he worked at Revolution 96.2, Global Radio, and Fleetwood F.C. When he left university, he took on the role of co-editor for the Salfordian and worked as freelancer for the likes of BBC Sport. He continues to work in sport but loves talking all things Xbox, PS4, and PC just as much.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock close comment cursor email facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window phone play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp logoInline safari-pinned-tab Created by potrace 1.11, written by Peter Selinger 2001-2013