| Last updated
A family have been left 'distraught' over the loss of their dog who was run over and killed after being spooked by fireworks.
A local vet had to break the news to Garry Hamilton and his family after five-year-old Cadi was brought in by someone.
Cadi, who lived with Garry and his wife Ceri near Roath Park in Cardiff, had gone outside in the garden for the toilet when she was spooked by noisy explosives.
As a result, she bolted from the garden, breaking the fence, and was later spotted running around the recreation ground nearby.
Now the family are calling people to keep a close eye on their animals.
Mr Hamilton explained: "It was all quiet when we let her out, but it suddenly got very noisy very quickly.
"She must have freaked out and escaped somehow, but before I could go and look for her I got word that she'd been hit by a car and killed."
He went on: "Someone must have taken her to the local vet who, having found our details on Cadi's microchip, called us with the awful news."
Speaking about how the family has taken the news, Mr Hamilton said: "We're distraught, she was such a fantastic dog, very affectionate. I loved our walks together.
"I just want to warn other pet owners that, even though Bonfire Night is over, to keep a close eye on their animals.
"People will still be setting off fireworks in the run up to Christmas and we don't want what happened to Cadi happening to anyone else's dog."
Taking to Facebook, Caitlin wrote: "Hope everyone enjoyed their fireworks, we lost the most beautiful girl in the world to them last night.
"There's the biggest Cadi shaped hole in our hearts and she didn't deserve her fate, just short of her 6th birthday."
She went on to say that she 'can't imagine life without her', and made sure to add: "For anyone assuming that we were walking her off the lead late on bonfire night - we weren't.
"We live opposite the rec, she went outside for a wee and broke out of the fence, ran blind and we couldn't find her."
Commenting on the post, one person wrote: "It's heartbreaking to read this. My heart goes out to you. Fireworks cause more heartache than joy. Its time to ban the sale of fireworks to the general public."
Another added: "I'm so sorry to hear this and I sympathise completely. My wee beagle is terrified and medicated to cope with the fireworks. So sorry about your loss I cant imagine..."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read