Pet Owner Furious After Dog Is Poisoned By Raisins ‘Deliberately Dumped In Park'
A pet owner has warned others to be on their guard amid fears her dog was 'deliberately poisoned' by someone who left a mound of raisins in the park.
Five-year-old Aida was on her morning walk when she came across a huge five-kilo stash of raisins, which can cause kidney failure in dogs.
The dried fruit, which was piled behind a tree in an isolated dog-run area, was picked up by the innocent and trusting German shorthaired pointer who went over to the unexpected snack and immediately set about wolfing down the raisins.
Aida is owned by student nurse Beth White and her partner Dan Quinn, from Sheffield.
Beth said: "On the morning it happened, Dan caught up quickly with Aida and steered her and our springer spaniel Isla away from the tree.
"Aida seemed okay after but at 2am the next morning I was woken up by her being really badly sick. It was an awful sound. You could tell she was in real pain.
"Raisins were very visible and we did some Google searching and realised then that we needed help urgently. You just would never know that something as apparently innocuous as raisins could be such a threat to your pet's life. It's really horrifying."
Beth, 24, rang the Vets Now pet emergency clinic in Sheffield where staff immediately started making plans to admit Aida.
The minute she arrived, the emergency team sedated her, administered charcoal tablets to empty her stomach and put her on a drip to make sure she took on fluids.
Meanwhile, horrified by the thought that another dogs might be harmed, Beth and Dan went back to the scene in Sheffield's Greenhill Park to scoop up as many of the raisins as possible.
More Like ThisMore Like This
Beth said: "It was totally dark and we were doing it by torchlight - but we just didn't want anyone else's dog to suffer."
At dawn they went back to park to get the rest of the raisins - and took photos of the pile that remained. Meanwhile, to their relief, brave Aida was on the mend.
And later that day, a woozy-looking Aida was well enough to come home to be reunited with two-year-old Isla and her favourite toy, a cuddly elephant named Daft Trunk.
Beth added: "Aida is the kindest, most loving and good-natured dog you could ever meet and how anyone could intentionally try to cause harm like this is impossible to understand.
"There's just no credible explanation for five big bags of raisins at the foot of a tree in a dog-run section of the park other than someone trying to hurt dogs. Luckily, they didn't succeed.
"But we've reported this to the police and we've since found out from other dog owners in the area that someone has previously put poisoned sausages down in the park. Who could be that nasty?"
Dave Hollinshead, senior emergency vet at Vets Now in Sheffield, said Aida had a lucky escape given how many raisins she ate.
He explained: "It's worth highlighting that ingesting just one raisin can be potentially serious for dogs so her owners did the right thing in getting urgent help and cleaning up the hazard.
"It's horrendous to think someone might have done this deliberately and we're so pleased to hear Aida's made a full recovery."
All of Vets Now's out-of-hours clinics and 24/7 hospitals have a vet and vet nurse on site at all times.
Vets Now has also recently launched an online video consultation service to make professional veterinary advice more easily available.
While the service is not suitable for life-threatening emergencies like Aida's, their experienced vets are available to discuss any worries or concerns pet owners might have.
Featured Image Credit: Vets Now
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read