TikTok User Shows Us How To Make Greggs Yum-Yums At Home
A hero will rise, as the phrase goes. In this instance, a hero is someone who can teach us Greggs' magic arts - like TikTok user Caught Snackin', who shared their version of one of the bakery's popular classics: the yum-yum. You can see the basics in the following video:
The creators of the recipe, who also have an Instagram page, being the god-sends they are, told LADbible simply: "We're just out here doing the most, spreading good food and vibes during bad times."
We are SOLD.
So, I'm guessing you want to know the recipe then?
Well, you will need some ingredients, some of which may be easier to come by than others (flour, I'm looking at you). This recipe makes between six and eight, depending on how big you want them (obviously). So here we are:
- 150g strong white flour
- 25g melted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp caster sugar
- 7g instant yeast
- 1 egg
- 70ml warm water
- 1L of oil for frying
For the glaze:
More Like ThisMore Like This
- ½ cup of icing sugar
- 2 tbsp water
Got your stuff together? Now, for the method - there are two parts.
Method part one:
1. Combine the flour with melted butter and mix together. Rub your fingers through the mix to make a fine crumb.
2. Now add in the salt, sugar, whisked egg, yeast and warm water and bring the mix together into a dough.
3. Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes, then put it in an oiled bowl to prove for one hour.
4. When your dough has doubled in size, knock out the air with a single punch! Phwoar. Now roll it out and cut it into strips.
And now you've done that bit - the second phase:
Method part two:
1. With each strip, cut a line vertically down the centre (leaving the ends intact). Pull the edges away from each other and twist them over, twice, creating a nice twirl.
2. Place your yum-yum twirls on individual parchment squares and cover with oiled cling, to prove for half an hour (they will grow again in size).
3. Meanwhile, make your glaze. Mix ½ a cup of icing sugar with 2 tbsp of water.
4. Heat your oil to 180c and fry your yum-yums in batches of 4. They'll need about half a minute each side and will turn a nice golden colour.
5. Remove from the oil and drain them on some kitchen roll, then generously brush them with the glaze and enjoy.
Perfect - home-made Greggs. What better way to make the most of all this spare time?
Featured Image Credit: Greggs
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read