Woman Hallucinated For Months After Getting Tapeworm From Old Sushi
A woman ended up suffering from hallucinations, psychosis, insomnia and incontinence after eating five-day-old sushi.
She was afflicted with these horrific symptoms for months after eating the meal, as doctors desperately tried to establish what was wrong with her.
He said the woman ate the old petrol station sushi after arriving home from work late and finding nothing else to eat. It tasted 'a little sour', but she was able to mask this off-ness with soy sauce.
She thought she'd dodged the bullet with the fishy meal, as she was completely fine in the days that followed; however, four months on from the sushi, things began to take a turn for JC.
She started suffering from insomnia, which led to anxiety, and also stomach cramps followed by watery stools.
She told her husband that it felt like a fish was flapping around in her belly - which turned out to not be too far from the truth.
JC began seeing little bugs crawling around in the corners of her vision and eventually under her skin, which she attributed to her insomnia, and after wetting the bed she decided to see a doctor.
More Like ThisMore Like This
The doctor was unable to identify the problem though and attributed her symptoms to stress, which could be mitigated with cognitive behavioural therapy.
This did no good though, and after JC suffered a seizure, her husband rushed her to A&E.
Looking at her blood under a microscope, doctors found that her blood cells weren't properly formed. They also discovered that her Vitamin B12 levels were low, so she was given injections and supplements and her condition improved - though her insomnia persisted.
Following another seizure doctors found that her B12 levels were still low, despite the injections and supplements, leading them to question whether something was taking the vitamins from her.
Upon checking her stool they made a grizzly but vital discovery - thousands of tiny eggs. They asked her if she had eaten any grains, as they sometimes contain insect traces that may contain tapeworms, but she had not. It was at this point she recalled eating the sushi, more than nine months prior.
Doctors identified the cause of JC's problem to be diphyllobothrium latum, one of the largest species of tapeworm with a taste for vitamin B12.
It has been extracting the vitamin from her gut, causing her stores in her liver to become depleted, leading her nerves to waste away.
As horrific as it must be to discover that a massive worm has been living and reproducing inside of you, the good news for JC was that it could be killed with a dose of praziquantel, allowing her to live a normal life once again.
So don't take risks with out of date fish, folks - unless you like the sound of having your very own internal pet worm.
Featured Image Credit: Pexels/Valeria Boltneva
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read