| Last updated
Blobs of mysterious white stuff have been turning up on British beaches.
As tempting as it may be to go over and poke the lumps (which weirdly smell like diesel), you really shouldn't.
Many people refer to them at 'fatbergs' which makes it sound much less serious than it is to be fair.
The goo is believed to be palm oil which can prove fatal if ingested. Parents and pet owners are being warning to keep an eye out as a simple case of curiosity could lead to a very serious situation. So far, councils have reported sightings at Treyarnon Bay, Porthcothan, Harlyn Bay, Constantine Bay and Trevone.
A spokesman for Thanet District Council said: "We have received unconfirmed reports that palm oil may be present on some of our beaches.
"Whilst we are investigating that dog walkers are extra cautious if on the beach."
ATTENTION: @cornishrocktors just found some palm oil on Port Gaverne beach during a coast... https://t.co/qeGX8kjfD2 pic.twitter.com/xfydjcbvdF
- NorthCornwall NT (@NorthCornwallNT) 15 June 2016
According to the Metro, similar blobs washed up on beaches in 2014. Sadly, lots of dogs died as a result and many more needed veterinary treatment.
Marc Abraham, a TV vet, said: "'These things can cause two-fold problems, the first is gastro, the second is foreign body obstructions.
"As the palm oil is so gelatinous it can get lodged in the oesophagus and require emergency surgery. If you think your dog has swallowed something it shouldn't, contact your vet immediately."
Whatever you do, don't go near them. Simply inform your local council if you happen to see one.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read