To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
Zac Efron has spoken out about his recent health scare while filming in Papua New Guinea, thanking everyone for their concern but reassuring the world he 'bounced back quick'.
Efron, who said he has been in the Oceanic country for three weeks, tweeted: "I did get sick in Papua New Guinea but I bounced back quick and finished an amazing 3 weeks in P.N.G."
He added: "I'm home for the holidays with my friends and family."
Very thankful to everyone who has reached out.
I did get sick in Papua New Guinea but I bounced back quick and finished an amazing 3 weeks in P.N.G.
I'm home for the holidays with my friends and family. Thanks for all the love and concern, see you in 2020! pic.twitter.com/SEcopCmqAB
- Zac Efron (@ZacEfron) December 29, 2019
It's understood he had contracted a 'form of typhoid or similar bacterial infection', which required urgent care.
Dr Glenn McKay, director of Medical Rescue, the organisation that oversaw Efron's flight, would not discuss a specific patient's case.
However, he did confirm to the Telegraph that they 'retrieved a US citizen in his 30s from PNG to Brisbane for medical attention in Australia'.
Efron had been in Papua New Guinea - which sits in the southwestern Pacific, and comprises the eastern half of New Guinea and its offshore islands - to start filming for Killing Zac Efron.
The new series will follow Efron as he delves deep into 'the jungle of a remote, dangerous island, falling off the grid for 21 days', according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Over the course of the series, he will throw away the luxuries he has become accustomed to, instead trying to survive with nothing but a few basic items and the help of his guide.
A Wewak tour guide called Cyril Tara has been posting a series of photos with Efron as he shows him around, having shared one on 7 December with the caption: "I am very happy to be his guide."
The series is being made by online platform Quibi, with Efron named as the executive producer.
Speaking ahead of filming, the actor said: "I tend to thrive under extreme circumstances and seek out opportunities that challenge me on every level.
"I am excited to explore any uncharted territory and discover what unexpected adventure awaits!"
LADbible has contacted Zac Efron's representatives and Quibi for comment.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read