Marvel Has To Wait Two Years To Bring Back The Punisher, Actor Says
Marvel must wait at least two years until it can bring back The Punisher, according to one of the show's stars.
Royce Johnson - who plays MCU's Detective Brett Mahoney in Daredevil and The Punisher - says rumours have been circulating claiming the superhero giant has a deal with Netflix and has to wait more than a year until characters from cancelled shows can return to the screen.
If true, it means fans might actually get their wish and see Frank Castle kick some more criminal a***.
Speaking to Comicbook.com, he said: "I mean, talking to [Marvel TV president] Jeph Loeb, I read that the memo had said, 'To be continued'.
"There is a clause that I heard through rumor that we have to wait 18 months, up to two years."
Talking about the continuation of the show in some form, he said: "Will we get the same people? We don't know that.
"I think they got together with a great team, I mean, with the writers, producers, editors, scorers, the stunt teams, everybody."
But Johnson isn't the first Marvel actor to claim there is a special agreement with Netflix.
Co-star Amy Rutberg had previously told Inverse: "There is this very real contract with Netflix. I had heard 18 months, maybe it's two years. I suppose it's possible that Marvel could buy them out, but I have not heard so much as a whisper."
The actors' claims were echoed by Marvel expert, Jeremy Conrad, who told his followers the same news.
More Like ThisMore Like This
Discussing who owns the rights to specific characters, he tweeted: "Marvel still owns the Netflix characters, they just can't use them for two years after the series was cancelled."
News that the hit series wouldn't be coming back for a third outing was confirmed earlier this year.
And according to Johnson, it was all down to Netflix, who decided not to continue with the character.
Marvel still owns the Netflix characters, they just can't use them for two years after the series was cancelled. https://t.co/A7uA2ZApPS
- Jeremy Conrad (@ManaByte) August 31, 2019
He added: "I mean, we couldn't be more thankful with the crew we had, but it wasn't a Marvel issue. Apparently, it was Netflix that said, 'We're not moving forward.' For whatever reason. I mean, I know these shows are costly with the CGI, and stunt guys, and special effects, and stuff.
"And that costs money, and maybe Netflix felt that they weren't gonna profit from it, and then this whole purge started, you know?"
And in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Loeb had previously said they already had plans for a third instalment before it was cancelled.
He said: "We have a whole story in mind that would be awesome."
While news of a return has yet to be confirmed, we'll be sure to keep you up to date with any news.
LADbible has contacted Netflix for comment.
Featured Image Credit: Marvel Studios/Netflix
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read