Cats The Big 'Winner' At Razzies With Six Awards Including Worst Picture
The Golden Raspberry Awards - which honour the very worst of the year in film - was held via video link on Monday after the live event in Los Angeles was cancelled because of you know what.
Cats was the big winner, picking up six awards including Worst Picture and Worst Director, while James Corden and Rebel Wilson scooped the Worst Supporting Actor and Worst Supporting Actress prizes respectively for their parts in the fiasco.
The movie also picked up Worst Screenplay and Worst Screen Combo, the latter for 'Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs'.
The movie adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's hit stage show was released on 20 December and you'd have thought Universal Pictures were on to a winner based on the star-studded cast, which featured the likes of Dame Judi Dench, Idris Elba, Taylor Swift, Sir Ian McKellen and Jennifer Hudson.
However, this stellar cast was not enough to distract people from the bizarre animation, which was widely considered creepy, s*** or creepy and s***.
More Like ThisMore Like This
Indeed, the film was a massive disappointment in the box office, bringing in $74 million (£61 million) to date, according to Box Office Mojo - which is more than $20 million (£16.5 million) less than its estimated budget.
Of course, just because a film doesn't perform in the box office, doesn't mean it wasn't well-received by the public and critics who do did watch it - but this can't be said for Cats. The film has a rating of 20 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and 2.8 on Metacritic, which tells you everything really.
Even Razzie-winners Corden and Wilson took the p*** out of it at the Oscars, arriving on stage to present the award for best visual effects in their costumes before joking that 'nobody more than us understands the importance of good visual effects'.
A full list of the Razzie winners/losers reads as follows:
- Worst Picture: Cats
- Worst Actor: John Travolta for The Fanatic and Trading Paint
- Worst Actress: Hilary Duff for The Haunting of Sharon Tate
- Worst Supporting Actress: Rebel Wilson for Cats
- Worst Supporting Actor: James Corden for Cats
- Worst Screen Combo: Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs in Cats
- Worst Screenplay: Cats
- Worst Director: Tom Hooper for Cats
- Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel: Rambo: Last Blood
- Worst Reckless Disregard for Human Life and Public Property: Rambo: Last Blood
- Razzie Redeemer: Eddie Murphy for Dolemite Is My Name
Featured Image Credit: Universal Pictures