Advert

Locals Erect 'Ant And Dec Go Home' Sign Amid I'm A Celebrity Preparations

Published 

Locals Erect 'Ant And Dec Go Home' Sign Amid I'm A Celebrity Preparations

A sign telling Ant and Dec to 'go home' has been erected in Wales ahead of the latest series of I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!.

The programme is returning to Gwrych Castle near Abergele for the forthcoming series but clearly, some locals aren't happy about it.

The complaints centre around the production interfering with everyday life by blocking off paths and erecting scaffolding.

One resident told MailOnline: "These people are absolutely ridiculous, they are erecting a structure and then think they can stop us locals from walking our dogs where we have been walking for over 40 years."

Advert

Another said: "They have absolutely ruined the area dredging up all that mud, when we asked them if they will put it back afterwards they said as it's winter it won't matter but they've dug 6 foot holes how dare they."

Some locals would be happy to see the presenters return to the land down under. Credit: Splash News
Some locals would be happy to see the presenters return to the land down under. Credit: Splash News

While a third complained: "Nothing from this comes back to the town or the people here, they have security everywhere and stopping people going places they normally go, they haven't even employed any locals here, it is all so unfair."

Mayor of Abergele, Councillor Alan Hunters, disagreed with this assessment though, claiming the show would boost the economy and lift spirits in the area.

Advert

He said: "I'm absolutely thrilled that I'm A Celebrity (IAC) has come back to our town's iconic Gwrych Castle. Leading up to the announcement that ITV were coming back, I'd lost count of the amount of times residents and local businesses had asked if I thought (IAC) would come back.

"The return has certainly lifted the spirits of the town and there is noticeable excitement across the generations."

He continued: "I am really grateful that there is a policy of using local trades to supply and service the show, which will aid the economic recovery for so many.

"The return is a real boost for the economy of the town, the coast, and North Wales in general. It is also a massive boost to the restoration of the castle.

Advert

"Last year the show went on during an almost full lockdown and l hope that this year we will not be restricted, so long as people are sensible and keep safe, we will welcome visitors. It will be fantastic to welcome the production team and crew into town this year."

LADbible has contacted ITV for comment.

Credit: Instagram/@mrsgifletcher
Credit: Instagram/@mrsgifletcher

The last series of the show - won by podcast host Giovanna Fletcher - took place in the UK for the first time after the Covid-19 pandemic forced producers to scrap plans to film the programme at its usual base in Australia.

Advert

This year's celebrity line-up features the likes of ex-BBC Breakfast host Louise Minchin, Olympic Gold Medallist Matty Lee, TV presenter and journalist Richard Madeley and former footballer David Ginola.

The show starts on Sunday (21 November).

Extra road safety measures will be put in place during filming after a woman taking a picture of the location was hit by a car and died, an inquest heard earlier this month.

Sharn Hughes, 58, had gone with her husband David Elfyn Hughes, to see the lights on the castle on 21 November last year when she stepped out from an archway into the road and was struck by a Volvo estate travelling at the speed limit of 60mph.

Advert

Coroner for North Wales east and central John Gittins said the chief executive of Conwy County Borough Council Iwan Davies had written to him outlining additional safety measures which would be in place for the filming of this year's series of the show.

The show will return to Gwrych Castle. Credit: Alamy
The show will return to Gwrych Castle. Credit: Alamy

These include a reduced speed limit of 30mph for the road up to and beyond the scene of the fatal collision.

Mrs Hughes' family said they were grateful for the changes.

They told the court £5,000 had been raised following her death for a foodbank she had collected for.

Gittins told the family: "I'm absolutely certain that, regardless of the horrendous circumstances leading to her passing, you must be incredibly proud of this woman."

He recorded a conclusion of death arising from a road traffic collision, with the cause of death as multiple traumatic injuries.

Featured Image Credit: Splash News

Topics: I'm a celebrity, UK News, TV and Film, Wales, Ant and Dec

Jake Massey
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Pub Named After Mythical Black Dog Renamed To Be 'Anti-Racist'

12 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Ikea Shoppers And Staff Snowed In At Denmark Store

5 hours ago