Advert

Latest

Australian Scientist Lets Thousands Of Mozzies Bite Him In The Quest To Find A Cure
published atin 6 minutes
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
Entertainment

John Torode Sets Tea Towel On Fire While Cooking On This Morning

John Torode Sets Tea Towel On Fire While Cooking On This Morning

The best thing about live TV is when it all goes wrong, as celebrity chef John Torode demonstrated perfectly on This Morning today (28 April).

The MasterChef host was making homemade McMuffins from his North London home when a misplaced tea towel caught fire on the hob behind him - not the sort of thing you come to expect from a judge of master chefs.

Spotting the growing blaze behind him, Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby tried to alert him to the danger from the studio.

Advert

Phillip shouted: "John! Your tea towel is on fire! Behind you, behind you, John!"

Holly could also be heard urging John to 'turn around' but he continued to put his bread in the toaster, potentially due to a delay, or just because he was so well and truly engrossed in his McMuffin crafting.

John was slow to react to the danger. Credit: ITV
John was slow to react to the danger. Credit: ITV

John made up for lost time though once he did finally clock onto the burning issue, thanking Holly and Phillip as he held up the tea towel like a snake, before calmly folding it and putting it under the kitchen tap.

Advert

The hosts could then be seen laughing with heads in hands in the studio, presumably feeling both amused and relieved, as the celebrity chef went to open his back door and let the smoke out.

The 54-year-old subsequently completed the recipe and reassured viewers that he came out of it unscathed.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
​Nudist Nearly Accidentally Flashes Genitals On This Morning
Entertainment

​Nudist Nearly Accidentally Flashes Genitals On This Morning

He said: "I'm really good thank you, I've cleaned out and washed it away, everything is clean and lovely. The full recipe is up now. I've got to say Phillip, I think yours was great."

Phillip replied: "Thank you, you didn't burn yourself did you?"

Advert

John said: "No, no, the towel itself just caught fire, I put it in the sink. But yeah, all good thank you."

This is the beauty of live TV. Right here. Credit: ITV
This is the beauty of live TV. Right here. Credit: ITV

Good job his cooking was being live streamed into the This Morning studio though, as even with people shouting at him he seemed almost oblivious to the danger.

Springbourne Fire Station in Bournemouth even used the McMuffin meltdown as an opportunity to make a public safety announcement.

Advert

Taking to Twitter, the station said: "Just watching This Morning with John Torode. Please don't leave tea towels on your hob. Accidents can happen to anyone, including professional chefs.

"His smoke detector did go off which shows the importance of working smoke alarms."

So let this be a lesson to all of us - before attempting to make a McMuffin, make sure Holly and Phil are watching over you. Failing that, make sure your batteries work in your smoke detector and don't leave your tea towel on the hob.

Featured Image Credit: ITV

Topics: This Morning, TV and Film, UK Entertainment

Jake Massey

Jake Massey is a journalist at LADbible. He graduated from Newcastle University, where he learnt a bit about media and a lot about living without heating. After spending a few years in Australia and New Zealand, Jake secured a role at an obscure radio station in Norwich, inadvertently becoming a real-life Alan Partridge in the process. From there, Jake became a reporter at the Eastern Daily Press. Jake enjoys playing football, listening to music and writing about himself in the third person.