N'Golo Kante played a pivotal and unsung role in France's World Cup success this summer.
The 27-year-old's unusual rise to the top gives another layer to this incredible story. In 2014 he was playing in the French second tier, Ligue 2, for Caen before they won promotion to Ligue 1, where he played with them for another season before earning his move to Leicester City.
He then won the Premier League with The Foxes before earning a move to Chelsea, where he won the league title once again the following year.
Despite all of his success, Kante remains the humble and shy person we all know and love. The fact that Steven N'Zonzi had to encourage France teammates to let him actually hold the trophy because he didn't want to impose sums up the man himself.
In the aftermath of the celebrations, a team picture involving all of the France squad has gone viral.
At first many questioned why Kante wasn't actually included in the photo, but he was eventually spotted hiding behind teammate Antoine Griezmann. It just sums up the man. He's not bothered about being in the spotlight.
He does his thing on the pitch and that's that.
Kanté, the guys who's 5'6 is standing in the back. The guy who did much for France doesn't want to be in the "spotlight". Ahh I love Kanté, what a humble boy.:heart_eyes: pic.twitter.com/pNJlsj9w49
- Lisa:flag_se: (@BarcaLisa10) July 16, 2018
My prayer this morning is that pls touch my heart and make me a humble human being just like N'golo Kanté.....what's your prayer this morning.
- KOJOHELPER PHOTOGRAPHY :flag_gh: (@KojoManchester) July 17, 2018
How can you not love N'Golo Kante? :heart_eyes::sob: pic.twitter.com/dc9uiUqdpM
- Metro Sport (@Metro_Sport) July 17, 2018
N'Golo Kante - the most humble man in football.
Featured Image Credit: Instagram/djibrilsidibe_s3
- Germany players cover mouths in team photo to protest FIFA OneLove armband decision
- People reckon the Argentina vs France game was the best World Cup final match in history
- N'Golo Kante Accepts Dinner Invite From Fan, They Eat Curry, Watch 'Match Of The Day' And Play ''FIFA'
- France Are Through To The Final Of The World Cup After Beating Belgium 1-0