Advert

Patient Injured After Her Fart Sparked A Fire During Surgery In Japan

Published 
| Last updated 

Patient Injured After Her Fart Sparked A Fire During Surgery In Japan

I would never have thought until now that something as harmless as casually passing wind could cause so much devastation. It usually whiffs a bit at the most.

But after hearing that a patient's fart during a surgical procedure apparently sparked a fire, I will make sure that I take better care when next letting off a gas bomb.

The incident occurred on April 15 at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku Ward, according to Ashai Shimbun.

A report recently released by the hospital ruled that it was a woman's gas leak that caused the fire.

Advert

The patient in her 30s was undergoing surgery, which involved applying a laser to her cervix (the lower part of the uterus).

She is believed to have passed wind after the laser was ignited. My knowledge in chemistry is limited to GCSE level but I'm guessing that surgical lasers and methane don't react well together.

"When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire," the report said.

Apparently, the patient sustained burns to much of her body, including her waist and legs.

Advert

The woman is thought to have survived but her condition is unknown.

Featured image credit: White Chicks/Revolution Studios

Topics: Surgery, Fart

Hamish Kilburn
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Items Belonging To Brian Laundrie Found In Florida Park

16 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Woman Who Drove Into Insulate Britain Protesters Hits Back Over Road Rage Incident

a day ago