Advert

British Girl Went Blind After Collapsing With Kidney Failure On Greek Holiday

Published 
| Last updated 

British Girl Went Blind After Collapsing With Kidney Failure On Greek Holiday

A young British girl collapsed with kidney failure and blindness after having her drink spiked while on holiday in Greece.

Hannah Powell, 20, has been in hospital since collapsing a week ago on the Greek island of Zakynthos and is currently undergoing tests. Her parents Christine and Derek have flown in from Middlesborough to Patra, where she's in intensive care.

Credit: Facebook/Hannah Powell

Advert

Hannah had been partying like any other girl her age on holiday. One night she went to bed, slept for 48 hours and woke up without vision.

She was rushed immediately to hospital. Although making significant progress since transferal, it's not yet known whether her kidneys or sight will fully return.

Image: Facebook/Hannah Powell

Advert

Reporters think Hannah has suffered methanol poisoning and induced partial blindness.

Doctors believe something else may be at play.

It is thought that methanol poisoning may have been a catalyst, although doctors believe it would not account for the full extent of Hannah's condition.

Dr Dimitris Goumenos, head of the Kidney Clinic at the University Hospital, Patra, told Mail Online: "When she came in Hannah was on the verge of being blind.

Advert

"The problem was much more serious than just a plain methanol poisoning.

"Her parents wanted to take her home to Britain this weekend, but I would not be happy for her to travel on a plane until much later in the week, depending on her condition."

Featured image credit: PA


Topics: Holiday

Josh Teal
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Hero Doctor And Nurse Came To Rescue Of Fan Under Cardiac Arrest At Newcastle Game

7 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Man Receives Fine After Traffic Camera Confuses Woman’s T-Shirt For His Car’s Reg Plate

2 hours ago