Advert

Latest

Rare Charizard Pokémon Card Already Has $160k Worth Of Bids At Auction
published at4 minutes ago
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
More

Chinese Vlogger Accidentally Poisons Herself On Livestream

Chinese Vlogger Accidentally Poisons Herself On Livestream

A Chinese vlogger was rushed to hospital after mistakenly eating a poisonous plant live on camera.

Twenty-six-year-old Zhang is an 'Internet host'. They're incredibly popular in China and are very much like YouTubers. She was eating the plant during a livestream to highlight the benefits of aloe vera.

However, she had accidentally purchased Agave Americana, a poisonous plant from Mexico, according to local reports.

Advert

At the beginning of the livestream, she says that it tastes good, even saying "yum". However, as it progresses, she begins to say how "bitter" the taste is. Whoops.

Suddenly, her mouth went numb and her throat felt like it was "on fire". Cutting the livestream short, she rushed herself to hospital. That was lucky, as doctors reportedly said that if she'd waited much longer, the consequences could have been a lot more serious.

Experts at Cornell University were asked by a member of the public to explain the dangers of the plant after they were poked in the arm by it and experienced a reaction where they went lightheaded and their hand swelled up.

They wrote: "Agave Americana has several toxic compounds, not all of which have been positively identified. It contains the incredibly irritating calcium oxylate raphides (microscopic daggers of crystaline oxylate) as well as some other really irritating oils in the sap. Just the physical trauma to the hand (the pain, the blood, the hematoma (the lump that swelled up when you hit the vein) would be enough to make me lightheaded, but when the other pain-inducing compounds are added, a bad stab with Agave could make anyone a little shocky.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
More

Woman Poses With A Gun On Snapchat, Accidentally Shoots Herself

Advert
Community

Drunk Brit Gets Chinese ‘Taiwan’ Tattoo… On His Forehead

published at3 years ago

"Lying down was probably a good move. Fermenting the Agave Americana pulp into pulque and/or distilling that into mescal results in beverages that make you lightheaded when you drink it, but of course, that is another story... I hope you heal well without infection. Sometimes some serious granulomas can form if you get infected, so don't!"

Aloe vera itself is actually really good for you. Sebastian Pole, co-founder of Pukka Herbs and an expert in herbalism, spoke to Marie Claire about the different ways it has been proven to be beneficial.

He said: "It can help strengthen digestion and rid the body of any nasty waste, thus detoxifying the body naturally.

"Its main property is to be soothing, cooling and moistening which helps to clear inflammatory and irritating heat, plus inflammatory skin and digestive problems, such as acne, rosacea and IBS."

Advert

So there you have it. As long as you ingest the right kind of plant, it can have benefits.

In case you're wondering, Ms Zhang is apparently now in a stable condition. Although I imagine her ego may be a little bruised.

Featured Image Credit: v.qq.com

Topics: camera, Vlogger, live, Video, Chinese

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Families Will Be Able To Visit Relatives In Care Homes This Christmas
published at4 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Entertainment

Umbrella Academy Actor Elliot Page Comes Out As Transgender

published at3 hours ago

Mel Ramsay

Mel Ramsay has been a Senior Journalist for Tyla and LADbible since 2015. She started her career writing obituaries and funeral guides online. Since then, her work has been published in a wide variety of national and local news sites. She is part of the BBC's Generation project and has spoken about young people, politics and mental health on television, radio and online. Contact her - [email protected]