To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
Featured Image Credit: TikTok/@saifshawaf/Birmingham Children's Hospital
A UK hospital has issued a stark warning about children sustaining serious and "life-changing" injuries after making the popular sweet treat from Netflix's Squid Game unsupervised.
Birmingham Children's Hospital's specialist Burn Centre said it's seen a "worrying increase" in severe burns and other injuries as a result of children attempting to cook dalgona candy, often following recipes from TikTok.
Related: What Age Is Squid Game Suitable For?
On 2nd November, the hospital, which is located in Birmingham city centre, said on Facebook:
"WARNING - Sadly, our specialist Burn Centre has seen a worrying increase in nasty injuries due to children and young people taking part in a social media craze based on the series Squid Game.
"There are real dangers related to the 'Honeycomb' or 'Dalgona Challenge', which involves combining sugar and baking soda over heat, which has a boiling point significantly higher than water.
"Spillages can cause life-changing and long-lasting injuries.
"Experts are asking that children are accompanied by a responsible adult when cooking."
Mr Oliver Sawyer, Consultant Burns and Plastic Surgeon at Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust, said: "We're really worried after seeing several children with very deep skin injuries caused by scalds linked to this social media trend.
"Given the very high boiling point of the substance, any scalds do really have potential to cause serious scarring.
"We'd warn against anyone doing this because of the damage it can potentially cause but, as with any form of cooking, children should never be unaccompanied. In just a few seconds an accident could lead to life-changing and lasting injuries," he added.
The hospital has also issued advice should somebody get burned while cooking.
"If you or a child sustains an injury from boiling sugar water, clinicians' advice that all clothing touched by the substance is removed, the affected area is immediately submerged in cold water and medical assistance is sought."