Advert

Latest

an hour ago
Advert
3 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 hours ago
Advert

Dog Dies After Eating Poisoned Discarded Piece Of Chewing Gum

Dog Dies After Eating Poisoned Discarded Piece Of Chewing Gum

A pet dog has died after it was poisoned by a piece of discarded chewing gum.

The heartbroken owners of Winston say their pooch was killed by the artificial sweetener in the gum.

Advert

The family from Littleborough, Greater Manchester, are now urging dog owners to be aware of the danger posed to pets by xylitol, which is used in numerous products commonly found in homes.

Winston, three, a golden retriever/German shepherd crossbreed, ate a piece of gum that had not been put in the bin.

Winston was three when he died. Credit: Deadline News
Winston was three when he died. Credit: Deadline News

He continued behaving normally, even chasing a football around a park, but after returning home 30 minutes later he became lethargic and started vomiting.

An emergency vet confirmed it was xylitol poisoning and put Winston on a glucose drip because he could no longer manage his blood sugar levels.

Advert

After two days, Winston was taken off the drip but was still unable to manage his own sugar levels. It was agreed there was no alternative but to have him put down.

His family, 31-year-old Kirsty and and 36-year-old Dave Lanyon, have been devastated by his death. Their daughter Amelia, four, is also heartbroken and doesn't understand why Winston had to go to 'heaven'.

The family shared a post on Facebook. Credit: Deadline News
The family shared a post on Facebook. Credit: Deadline News

Kirsty is now trying to spread awareness of the dangers of xylitol, and posted about Winston's death on Facebook.

She wrote: "All dog owners need to be aware of the dangers of xylitol and how it's in so many items just lying about your houses.

"Those brownies/cupcakes you made from a packet mix? Full of it. That pizza you got from the takeaway? Full of it. Your toothpaste, pasta, peanut butter, anything that says sugar-free, it's probably in there too. But it won't be labelled xylitol, it's labelled 'sugar alcohol'."

Winston with Amelia. Credit: Deadline News
Winston with Amelia. Credit: Deadline News

Referring to Amelia, Kirsty added: "His four-year-old sister doesn't quite understand. Hearing her ask over and over why Winston had to go heaven is horrendous in ways you couldn't imagine.

"In memory of our beloved Winston, check your cupboards, check everything you give your dog. And keep as close an eye on them as possible when out walking.

"We'd never heard of it, so when our boy started vomiting and then collapsed within 30 mins of getting home from his last ever walk, our last ever walk as a family of four, we were clueless. If that happens, get them to an emergency vet as soon as possible as even then, like for Winston and us, it may already be too late."

Winston with Kirsty. Credit: Deadline News
Winston with Kirsty. Credit: Deadline News

Speaking today, Kirsty said: "Words actually can't describe what it's been like to lose him. But if we can raise awareness of the dangers of xylitol, it's a small consolation."

An RSPCA spokeswoman said: "This sounds like a tragic incident and our thoughts go out to Winston's owner. If you suspect your dog may have been poisoned, please ring your vet straight away."

Xylitol is a low-calorie sweetener and it is used as an alternative to sugar. It is also known as E967 and can be commonly used in baking. It is also regularly found in sugar-free chewing gum, toothpaste, mouthwash, vitamin supplements and in a small handful of peanut butter brands.

A dog's pancreas will confuse xylitol with real sugar and it will release more insulin, which removes the real sugar in a dog's body, causing hypoglycemia. Symptoms can be rapid or delayed for up to 12 hours so do not wait for symptoms to appear before going to the vet.

Featured Image Credit: Deadline News

Topics: uk news, News, Animals

Rebecca Shepherd

I'm Becky - a journalist at LADbible. I graduated with a First Class BA in Journalism before going on to cover criminal court cases, medical tribunals and breaking news for the national media - which inevitably and eventually became as glum as it sounds. Can often be found rocking a bag for life - which I made a 'thing' way before Rihanna. You can contact me at [email protected]

 

Next Up

Former Barcelona And Spain Manager Luis Enrique's Daughter Has Died Aged Nine

Former Barcelona And Spain Manager Luis Enrique's Daughter Has Died Aged Nine

3 months ago