Advert

Latest

​Hero Who Saved A Dog From A Hot Car With Axe Says He’d Do It Again
published atan hour ago
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Dog Owner Warns Others About The Dangers Of Throwing Sticks For Pets

Dog Owner Warns Others About The Dangers Of Throwing Sticks For Pets

A dog owner is warning others of the potential dangers of throwing sticks for their dogs after her pooch was impaled by a branch and ended up seriously ill.

Jemma Hammerton, 22, from Willenhall in the West Midlands, was out walking her five-year-old Jack Russell cross called Marley last December when she threw a stick for him to fetch.

Credit: Mercury News And Media
Credit: Mercury News And Media

But things went horribly wrong after the stick ended up lodged in Marley's throat.

Advert

Terrified Jemma initially thought her beloved pet was dead when she approached him and saw him covered in blood with the branch stuck deep in his throat.

She rushed him to the vets where he was treated and given a month-long course of antibiotics and pain medications - but the incident came back to haunt him in February this year and little Marley had to undergo an hour-long surgery to remove pieces of the branch that had broken off and were stuck in his neck.

She said: "We were out on our usual walk when a stick I had thrown dug itself into the mud and was pointing upwards.

Credit: Mercury News And Media
Credit: Mercury News And Media
Advert

"Marley ran to get it but didn't stop in time and the stick got lodged in the back of his mouth.

"I ran over and he was desperately trying to get it out with his paws, and in a panic I pulled it out of his mouth.

"There was blood pouring from his throat and he just became limp and lifeless.

"I actually thought he was dead and that the stick had gone through his neck completely at first.

"I was hysterical, it was like I was losing a child."

Advert

More Like This

1 of 6
Emergency Vets Warn Dog Owners Against Throwing Sticks For Their Pets
Community

Emergency Vets Warn Dog Owners Against Throwing Sticks For Their Pets

Jemma took Marley to Wolverhampton PDSA Pet Hospital where he was given medication and told to come back for check-ups.

Over the coming weeks Marley appeared to be getting back to his old self, but in February, Jemma noticed a small lump on his neck that had started to puss and go black.

Credit: Mercury News And Media
Credit: Mercury News And Media
Advert

So she took him back to the PDSA where he was booked in for investigative surgery which revealed there were still parts of the branch in his throat which needed removing, and within an hour he was back on his feet.

Jemma said: "It was like there was something there trying to push its way out.

"It looked incredibly sore and had started pussing and going black.

"He was acting so out of character, so I knew something wasn't right, so we took him back to PDSA to get it checked."

Now that he's well again, Jemma is speaking out to warn others about he serious damage sticks can do.

Advert

She said: "I want to urge other owners not to let their dogs play with sticks while out walking. I learnt the hard way and I don't want anyone else to go through what Marley's been through.

Credit: Mercury News And Media
Credit: Mercury News And Media

"Marley means the world to me and I am forever grateful to everyone at PDSA who were absolutely brilliant.

"I can't thank them enough for everything they did in keeping Marley with me, I dread to think what would have happened if we didn't have them. They are a God-send."

Featured Image Credit: Mercury News and Media

Topics: UK News, Animals

Claire Reid

Claire is a journalist at LADbible who, after dossing around for a few years, went to Liverpool John Moores University. She graduated with a degree in Journalism and a whole load of debt. When not writing words in exchange for money she is usually at home watching serial killer documentaries surrounded by cats. You can contact Claire at [email protected]