Advert

Latest

26 minutes ago
Advert
an hour ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 days ago
Advert

Dog Owners Warned Over Toxic Hot Cross Buns After Pet Nearly Dies

Dog Owners Warned Over Toxic Hot Cross Buns After Pet Nearly Dies

It's common knowledge that dogs shouldn't be fed human food, but every so often, our sneaky pets come across something irresistible - the result of which usually involves panic and a hefty vets bill.

But dog owners have again been warned about the risks of allowing their pets to eat food made for humans, after Labradoodle Ralph nearly lost his life after swiping some hot cross buns from an unattended plate.

Advert
A Labradoodle similar to Ralph. Credit: Pixabay
A Labradoodle similar to Ralph. Credit: Pixabay

The treat may seem innocent enough, but it actually contains two things that are toxic to dogs - and potentially fatal. Both raisins, and nutmeg - a common ingredient in the Easter baked good - are extremely dangerous to dogs.

Ralph, who was on holiday in Penicuik, Midlothian, was rushed to Vets Now's out of hours service in Edinburgh when his owner realised something was wrong.

Keith Jeary, 65, said he knew he had to take Ralph straight to receive medical attention when he noticed he had eaten the buns.

He said: "When I saw the plate with nothing on it the alarm bells rang.

Advert

"Knowing how dangerous raisins can be, we weren't going to chance it."

Vets Now's Laura Playforth issued a warning to dog owners over the incident.

She said: "It's unclear what causes the toxic effects but just one can kill so real caution should be taken with foods, such as hot cross buns, that contain them.

"It's also worth bearing in mind that inducing vomiting doesn't clear 100 per cent of the contents of a dog's stomach so there's no guarantee this form of treatment will always be successful."

Dried fruits like raisins and dates can kill dogs in very small amounts. Credit: Pixabay
Dried fruits like raisins and dates can kill dogs in very small amounts. Credit: Pixabay

Thankfully, Ralph made a full recovery.

Although it's never a good idea to take the risk, dogs prove time and time again how resilient they can be.

One dog owning couple were horrified to discover their 16-month-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Shelby had swallowed five bags of heroin while out on a walk.

Denis and Kathy Parslow, from Adelaide noticed their pup had been acting out of character, behaving more subdued than usual. After receiving an antibiotics shot from the vets, the symptoms continued which was when a scan revealed the package in his stomach.

Vets operated, removing the stash which had started to leak. Shelby made a full recovery after receiving treatment for the effects of the drugs.

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: News, uk news, easter, Animals

Amelia Ward

Amelia is a journalist at LADbible. After studying journalism at Liverpool John Moores and Salford Uni (don't ask), she went into the world of music. Quickly realising that you can't pay your bills with guestlist, she went back to her roots. In her spare time, Amelia likes music, Liverpool FC, and spending good, quality time with her cat, Paul. You can contact Amelia at [email protected]

 

Next Up

Gogglebox Creator Explains Why Mary And Giles Were Missing From Last Week's Show

Gogglebox Creator Explains Why Mary And Giles Were Missing From Last Week's Show

5 months ago