Police Smash Into Blazing Hot Cars To Rescue Dogs Locked Inside
It's the hottest day ever recorded in July and people are still leaving their dogs in blazing hot cars.
Yesterday a police officer in Leeds, West Yorkshire, alerted one supermarket shopper to their stranded dog, who was overheating inside their vehicle.
Just been waved down and alerted to a dog left in a car.
Owner had gone shopping in the adjacent Supermarket. Tannoy Announcement made, owner returned. In the space of less than 10mins the dog was starting to pant / overheat. Just don't do it :dog: #DogsDieInHotCars pic.twitter.com/Cu5GUN69Vy
- SgtMicklethwaite (@WYP_SgtIanM) July 24, 2019
The pet pooch had been left with the window slightly ajar while the owner shopped at the adjacent Sainsbury's, reports The Sun.
A tannoy announcement was made and the owner was located. Sgt Ian Micklethwaite, from West Yorkshire Police, tweeted: "In the space of less than 10 minutes the dog was starting to pant / overheat. Just don't do it."
According to The Sun, police had to smash their way into another car in Plymouth, Devon, to free a pug, as they advised dog owners not to leave pets in hot vehicles during this week's record-breaking heatwave.
More Like This
Now warnings have been issued urging people to take care when it comes to their pets.
In just 20 minutes, a dog could die in a hot car. Winding down a window is not enough. NEVER leave your dog in a warm car :red_car: Think twice about any car trips with your dog
If you see a dog in distress in a hot car, call 999 immediately :point_right: https://t.co/H5d7B4t2XP pic.twitter.com/rqrN1iBxEc
- Dogs Trust :yellow_heart::dog: (@DogsTrust) July 23, 2019
:sunny::dog2: With today forecast to be the hottest day of the year, we are asking people to reconsider leaving their dog in the car while they're out and about.
Not long is too long.#DogsDieInHotCars #DontRiskIt pic.twitter.com/x2QiEXdI5u
- Scottish SPCA :feet: (@ScottishSPCA) July 23, 2019
Blue Cross issued a caution explaining that, unlike humans, dogs can't sweat through their skin, so they rely on panting and releasing heat through their paw pads and nose to regulate their body temperature and keep cool.
If anyone suspects that their pet is suffering from heatstroke, they advised people to move their pet to a cool place, preferably with a draught, wet their coat with cool - not freezing - water and contact their vet immediately.
Featured Image Credit: Twitter/@WYP_SgtIanM