Advert

Latest

an hour ago
Advert
2 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

12 hours ago
Advert

Pet Owner Devastated After Vet Accidentally Puts Down Her Cat Instead Of Giving It Vaccine

Pet Owner Devastated After Vet Accidentally Puts Down Her Cat Instead Of Giving It Vaccine

A woman has spoken of her devastation after vets accidentally euthanised her cat.

Michelle Olson had taken her eight-year-old Sophie to Suburbia North Animal Hospital, in Houston, Texas, where she was due to get her rabies vaccination.

Advert

But instead of the routine visit, vets at the centre gave Sophie the wrong injection and she later died.

Speaking to ABC 13 about her devastation, Ms Olson said: "Every time I close my eyes, I see that look on her face and I just can't get it out of my head."

She and her husband had just picked Sophie up and were on their way home when they received a panicked phone call from the hospital.

Looking back at that harrowing moment, Ms Olson said: "It was the doctor herself calling saying, 'Please get Sophie back here immediately, we gave her euthanasia instead of a rabies vaccine'.

Ms Olson was devastated by the loss of her pet cat Sophie. Credit: abc13
Ms Olson was devastated by the loss of her pet cat Sophie. Credit: abc13
Advert

"I immediately took her out of her cat carrier and I held her, talked to her, because I knew that was going to be the last thing she would remember. I knew she wasn't going to come back at that point. I just knew it.

"She pretty much was dying in my arms."

Despite the best efforts of the vets to save Sophie's life, she died.

And though she accepts that they are sorry for their grave error, Ms Olson told the publication that she is utterly devastated.

She said: "They're very sorry, that's all they can say really. It was an accident, I get that, but it was an accident that should've never happened.

"My main concern is not to bash them at all, just want to make public aware to be vigilant, ask questions that you didn't think you had to ask of your veterinarian so this doesn't happen to anyone else."

Vets accidentally euthanised Sophie when she visited for a rabies injection. Credit: abc13
Vets accidentally euthanised Sophie when she visited for a rabies injection. Credit: abc13

After being contacted for a comment by ABC 13, staff at the hospital accepted that the tragic incident happened, but added that they had been advised not to comment.

This isn't the first story of a pet going before their time.

Last year, a woman in the US had her dog put down so they could be buried together.

Brown and white Shih Tzu mix Emma was brought to Chesterfield Animal Shelter in Richmond, Virginia, in early March following the death of her owner.

The dog - which was described as healthy and well-pampered - spent the next fortnight there, during which volunteers pleaded with the executor of the deceased woman's estate not to go through with the euthanasia of the pooch. However, their appeals were ignored.

Featured Image Credit: abc13

Topics: Science, US News, Animals, Health

Dominic Smithers

Dominic graduated from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History. Like you, Dom has often questioned how much use a second language has been. Well, after stints working at the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express, along with never setting foot in France, he realised the answer is surprisingly little. But I guess, c'est la vie. Contact us at [email protected]

 

Next Up

Man Releases New Photo He Claims Shows Tupac Shakur 'Alive And Well In Belize'

Man Releases New Photo He Claims Shows Tupac Shakur 'Alive And Well In Belize'

a month ago