Advert

Latest

39 minutes ago
Advert
an hour ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 days ago
Advert

Woman Tells How Fireworks Made Her Dog Go Blind From Fright

Woman Tells How Fireworks Made Her Dog Go Blind From Fright

A Scottish woman has been campaigning online for an end to the sale of fireworks after an incident a few years back in which her dog went blind from fright.

Yep, Suzy the Labrador cross was so terrified by the explosions and flashing lights that occur around this time of year that her eyes popped out of her head and eventually led to the loss of her sight altogether.

Advert

Now, Margaret Adams, Suzy's owner in Kilmarnock, has been telling anyone who will listen that - despite how much we all enjoy fireworks - perhaps they shouldn't be allowed if they're causing this kind of injury to animals.

Looking at Suzy's eyes, perhaps she's got a point.

Suzy was badly shaken up by the explosions. Credit: Facebook
Suzy was badly shaken up by the explosions. Credit: Facebook

The incident occurred four years ago, but it is obviously still remarkable clear in her owner's mind. She told local radio station West FM: "People were setting them off randomly and we weren't prepared.

"She got a terrible fright and was trying to climb doors and hide in the toilet.

Advert

"It wasn't until the next day I noticed something wrong with her eyes and we realised she had actually popped the lens in her eyes."

Adams continued: "I can't calm her down. She's inconsolable. I have a thunder shirt for her and supplements from the vet to try and keep her calm.

"I don't want to deprive other people of what they enjoy doing. But I wish they would do it within a certain time so we can be prepared and the dogs don't get a fright. Or anyone for that matter, it's not just animals.

"Suzy still struggles. When she hears them she's up like a shot and running all over the place. Trying to get behind things and climbing the walls. It's horrific to see. It's terrifying."

Here's Suzy before her injuries. Credit: Facebook
Here's Suzy before her injuries. Credit: Facebook

The story gets worse, too. Margaret was given Suzy as a present after the death of her husband, but now - as well as dealing with the ordeal - has to be more of a consolation for Suzy than Suzy is capable of being for her.

To be fair, there are a growing number of pet owners campaigning for the sale of fireworks to be banned.

Just yesterday an 18-week-old puppy died 'from fright caused by fireworks' according to her owner.

Susan Paterson said that her young terrier Molly died in South Yorkshire because she was scared of the fireworks.

In an emotional Facebook post, she said: "Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack."

Molly, the puppy, was scared to death according to her owner. Credit: Facebook
Molly, the puppy, was scared to death according to her owner. Credit: Facebook

"Please think of the animals. Molly was only 18 weeks old and died of FRIGHT caused by fireworks.

"Molly may be gone but she will never be forgotten and will live on in our hearts. We are still trying to make sense of what happened. Dreading the fireworks again tonight."

More than 180,000 people have now signed a petition to ban fireworks, meaning that Parliament will debate the issue.

Featured Image Credit: Facebook

Topics: uk news, Weird, Animals

Tom Wood

Tom Wood is a LADbible journalist and Twin Peaks enthusiast. Despite having a career in football cut short by a chronic lack of talent, he managed to obtain degrees from both the University of London and Salford. According to his French teacher, at the weekends he mostly likes to play football and go to the park with his brother.” Contact Tom on [email protected]

 

Next Up

Asda Is Selling Big Bars Of Cadbury White

Asda Is Selling Big Bars Of Cadbury White

17 days ago