Woman’s Toilet Blockage Turns Out To Be Caused By Family Of Snakes
Danger could strike at any given moment - just ask this woman, who discovered not one, but four snakes hiding in her toilet.
Sofie Pearson, who lives on a cane farm in Cordelia, North Queensland, first noticed there was a problem when her loo wouldn't flush properly.
It appeared there was a blockage, and so the 25-year-old opened up the cistern to see what was wrong.
Little did she realise she'd be faced with a family of tree snakes, ranging from 50cm to a metre in length, all huddled together in their new home.
Speaking to 7News, Sofie said: "I went to the toilet and then I went to flush it and I really had to push down on the button to get it to work, so I was a bit confused.
"So I figured I'd just pull the top off and check what the issue was. I sort of looked at them for a second and thought, 'That's not right.'"
While this would be enough to send most people running, Sofie remained calm and called a friend to come help her remove the serpents - after taking a few snaps and a video, of course.
"He came and wrangled them out for me, because I was not touching them," she added.
Turns out this particular species of snake is non-venomous, but still not something you want to come across when you're doing your business.
More Like ThisMore Like This
Sofie reckons they made it into her house through 'cracks in the floorboards', although we're still not sure why they decided to reside in her loo.
Thankfully, her toilet's now functioning as normal and no one was harmed during the process, including the snakes, which were released into a nearby cane field unscathed.
Here's hoping she invests in some floorboard sealant to prevent anything like this from happening again.
Another Queensland resident faced a similar problem back in May - only this time, the snake was of the deadly kind.
Michael Hilliard, from Bunya, was casually doing the dishes when an eastern brown snake slithered out of the plughole and within inches of his hand.
This species is considered the second-most venomous land snake in the world and is responsible for more than half of snakebite deaths down under.
But in true Aussie fashion, Michael, like Sofie, was super casual about the whole thing, describing it as a 'bit of a surprise'.
"It was just a bit of a surprise. I'd popped my hands in and it was like, 'Woah, what was that?'" he said.
"Then I found out it was a juvenile eastern brown so I phoned up the snake catcher and he said, 'Yes it is.'
"It was a bit of a shock because they're pretty lethal. Thank God it didn't get me."
Understatement of the year.
Featured Image Credit: 7News
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read