• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

David Beckham Will Not Face Prosecution Despite Driving 19mph Over The Limit

Published 
| Last updated 

David Beckham Will Not Face Prosecution Despite Driving 19mph Over The Limit

It's been ruled that David Beckham will not be prosecuted over a speeding charge he received earlier this year.

The former football player recruited the help of the celebrity lawyer, Nick Freeman, who is often know as 'Mr Loophole', reports the BBC.

Credit: PA
Credit: PA

Freeman was successful in his fight against the charge - getting the former Manchester United golden boy off on a technicality.

Advert

In January, this year, the former England captain, 43, was accused of driving a loaned Bentley at 59mph in a 40mph zone on the A40 in Paddington.

This is where the Freeman proves his right to own the 'loophole' name as he argued the speeding notice arrived one day too late.

Beckham, who did not attend the hearing at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on Thursday, had previously entered a not guilty plea.

Credit: PA
Credit: PA
Advert

District Judge Barbara Barnes said a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) was sent on February 2 and should have arrived at Bentley Motors Ltd by February 6.

However the judge said she was satisfied with the evidence that heard the letter didn't actually arrive until February 7, one day outside the statutory 14-day window.

In a summary she said the 'vagaries' of the postal system were allowed by the law to be taken into account.

She said: "What I find is the fact it did not arrive in the post room of Bentley Motors Ltd until 7 February and therefore was one day outside the legal limit.

Advert

"The defendant in this case cannot be convicted."

Beckham's speedy feet behind the wheel isn't quite on the same level as other footballers.

Loading…

Man City star Benjamin Mendy banned from driving for a year after being given an eye-watering 24 points on his license.

Advert

The 24-year-old French left-back also admitted to four charges of failing to identify the driver of a motor vehicle.

Mendy didn't attend his hearing at Manchester Magistrates' Court in person, but, instead, was represented by his lawyer Gwyn Lewis.

The court heard the offences are from four separate incidents of speeding involving his Mercedes earlier this year.

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: UK News, Celebrity, News, Football, David Beckham

Rachael Grealish
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Free Climber Didn't Realise Crane Had Been Covered In Grease Before Scaling 1,200ft Above Dubai

12 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Entertainment

Naked Attraction Is Looking For New Singletons To Apply

a day ago