BBC's George Alagiah Presents News For First Time In Over A Year After Battling Cancer
News anchor George Alagiah returned to his usual spot on BBC's News At Six this evening after more than a year out to receive cancer treatment.
The newsreader was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014 and was given the all clear in November 2015. The Mirror reported that the disease then tragically returned meaning that George had to take time out to undergo further treatment in January 2018.
But fast-forward to 2019 and George was pictured smiling with staff at BBC studios preparing to go on air for his usual teatime stint.
His colleagues were quite obviously delighted and took to Twitter to share their joy:
Back with a beard...1st time on air since December 2017. Join @BBCAlagiah on @BBCOne for tonight's #BBCNewsSix pic.twitter.com/3TmuCdQjqE
- sophieraworth (@sophieraworth) January 23, 2019
Look who's back in the newsroom! Welcome back @BBCAlagiah back where he belongs #BBCNewsSix @Chris1603 @paulroyall pic.twitter.com/bUPsWJRTM2
- Chris Cook (@chrisckmedia) January 23, 2019
What a pleasure to have @BBCAlagiah back in the hot seat. #BBCNewsSix pic.twitter.com/qKy3UpV8Z7
- Jonathan Whitaker (@jonnywhitaker) January 23, 2019
And fans on social media were thrilled to be tuning in to the familiar face. One said: "@BBCAlagiah my favourite newsreader is back!!!"
Another added: "Great to see @georgealagiah back at 6:00 this evening!!! Looking good and looking well with a new look."
A third commented: "Great to see @georgealagiah back reading the news and looking so well xxx"
"You'll give a lot of cancer patients hope George, so I'd say your return deserves a big splash," someone else wrote.
In response to one of his colleagues, George joked: "There goes my hopes of slipping back into the studio unnoticed! Thanks to all for good wishes.
"We've got the cancer in a holding pattern so it's back to work with colleagues I respect and the viewers who make it worthwhile. #BBCNewsSix"
A spokesman for the BBC told the MailOnline: "Everyone at the BBC is delighted to see George back in the studio where he belongs."
Even rival news channels tweeted the 63-year-old:
Welcome back! Good to have you on our screens again (I mean, obvs we're watching C4, but... y'know...)
- Channel 4 Press (@C4Press) January 23, 2019
Last year, when he learned the bowel cancer had returned, he said: "My brilliant doctors are determined to get me back to a disease-free state and I know they have the skill to do just that.
"I learned last time around how important the support of family and friends is and I am blessed in that department. I genuinely feel positive as I prepare for this new challenge."
We're glad to see you back, George. Here's to a healthy 2019.
Featured Image Credit: BBC