| Last updated
Lesley Kuhn, from Mosman, Sydney, shared the startling discovery in a Facebook post, warning others to check their greens.
She said: "Check packaged lettuces carefully. Last night my son found a baby pale headed snake in with his baby cos lettuce from Aldi."
Cos lettuce? Surely that's a cosssssssssssssssssss lettuccccccccccccccccccce.
Anyway, people were predictably put off their salad.
Commenting on a Facebook post by her son, one person said: "Like I needed another reason to loathe salad."
Another said: "Creating a fear of vegetables."
While a third said the photos made them feel 'physically sick'.
Responding to one query in the comments, Lesley confirmed the snake was still alive when it was discovered.
The salad serpent was eventually collected after Lesley's son contacted the Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service (WIRES).
While only juvenile, the pale headed snake is described as a 'potentially dangerous species' by Queensland Museum, and a bite from the venomous creature can be 'serious'.
Aldi said it was investigating how the slithery little fella ended up on the lettuce.
A spokesperson told news.com.au: "We've worked with the customer and the team at WIRES to identify the snake's natural habitat, which is certainly not an Aldi store.
"We thank WIRES for their support on this. We are working closely with our produce supplier to investigate how this incident could have possibly occurred."
The family did not reveal what happened to the lettuce, though. Let's assume/hope they put it in the bin.
Unfortunately for Aussies, finding a snake in your lettuce/boot is just part and parcel of life Down Under.
Last year, a bloke was greeted by a deadly brown snake as he was doing the dishes.
Michael Hilliard, from Bunya, Queensland, had just started his chores when an eastern brown snake slithered out of the plughole and within inches of his hand.
The reptile - whose sneaky shenanigans did nothing to help the anti-snake stereotyping movement - is considered the second-most venomous land snake in the world and is responsible for more than half of snakebite deaths in Australia.
But like a true Aussie, Michael described it merely as 'a bit of a surprise'.
Reflecting on the close encounter, he told 9News: "It was just a bit of a surprise. I'd popped my hands in and it was like 'woah what was that'.
"Then I found out it was a juvenile eastern brown so I phoned up the snake catcher and he said 'yes it is'.
"It was a bit of a shock because they're pretty lethal. Thank God it didn't get me. You'd think they'd be nice and quiet there."
So there you go, looks like Aussies are well within their rights to sack off salad and washing up.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read