| Last updated
A man has been charged with aggravated cruelty after his dog died, allegedly due to being locked in a car on a hot day.
The man's five-year-old Rottweiler was kept inside the vehicle for several hours at Padstow, in Sydney's southwest yesterday (7 December).
A passer-by noticed the animal in the car was looking distressed and called Triple-Zero, hoping they would arrive in time to save the dog.
When officers from Bankstown Traffic and Highway Patrol arrived at the scene they found the engine was still running, however it wasn't enough to keep the dog from being affected by the heat.
The Rottweiler was taken to a local vet, however was declared dead.
Police issued the 49-year-old owner of the car with a Court Attendance Notice for commit an act of aggravated cruelty upon an animal, leave vehicle leave engine on, and not remove ignition key (vehicle unattended). He'll appear in Bankstown Local Court on Thursday 14 January 2021.
NSW Police have issued a warning to pet owners not to repeat this.
"Motorists are reminded it is never okay to leave children, the elderly, or pets unattended in a car - even with the air conditioning running," they said in a statement.
This happens every time the winter weather disappears and residents are faced with high temperatures. However, if you're inside a car on a hot day it will undeniably be hotter inside compared to outside.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read