To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
Featured Image Credit: 9News
The elderly man who was bashed to within an inch of his life outside his Perth home has sadly died in hospital.
Emiliano Lombardi suffered horrific injuries on August 16 when he was allegedly attacked by one man who was in the middle of a crime spree.
The 84-year-old was rushed to hospital and placed in an induced coma to help him recover. He was pulled out of that coma last week, however he hasn't been able to overcome his injuries, according to 9News.
Warning: This article contains images which some readers may find distressing
Police say the elderly man suffered a broken nose, eye injuries, and numerous deep cuts when he was bashed with piece of a mirror that was broken off from his car. He was said to be confused about waking up in hospital but has been informed of what happened.
A man has been arrested in connection with the savage attack following a four-day manhunt.
He has been charged with seven offences, which not only includes the alleged bashing of Mr Lombardi but the alleged indecent assault of a woman in her 40s, alleged attack of another woman in her 20s with a metal sign, and the alleged violent robbery of a man in his 20s.
The 28-year-old has been charged with grievous bodily harm, indecent assault, robbery, and assault occasioning bodily harm.
A 24-year-old man is accused of joining in on the crime spree on August 16 and has been charged with multiple counts of criminal damage and firearm and drug crimes. The alleged offender has been accused of spraying graffiti on two walls, a gate, and a park bench, throwing a brick through a window, and damaging two letterboxes and a fence.
Cannington Police Acting Detective Sergeant Alexandra Hill praised her team for finding the two alleged offenders.
"This is a large step forward for us in the investigation," she said. "What has led us to identify these particular males has been a lot of CCTV that we have recovered from the addresses...on top of the amount of victims and witnesses wanting to help and wanting to give information.
"We were not tipped off to who they were. This was good old-fashioned investigation, piecing together what we have."
She added that there appears to be no apparent motive for the alleged crime spree.
"It seems that there is no purpose," she said. "This is an 84-year-old man who's lived in this suburb for 40 years... and been brutally assaulted in his front yard.
"They are horrific, horrific injuries that this man has sustained to his face. People should be able to feel safe in their own homes."