To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Elderly Australian Man Left Fighting For His Life In Hospital After 'Disgusting' Attack

Elderly Australian Man Left Fighting For His Life In Hospital After 'Disgusting' Attack

The hunt is on to whoever did this 'cowardly and appalling act'.

Stewart Perrie

Stewart Perrie

An elderly Australian man is fighting for his life in hospital after a sickening and savage attack.

Western Australia Police say the 84-year-old went to check on a disturbance outside his Cannington East property, in Perth's southern suburbs, last Sunday night (August 16).

It was there that he was assaulted by an unknown person, who left him for dead.


The elderly victim suffered 'horrific' and serious head and facial injuries and was quickly taken to to Royal Perth Hospital, where he remains in ICU pending surgery.

Acting Detective Sergeant Alexandra Hill told Perth Now they are horrified that someone would do this.

"It seems that there is no purpose," she said. "This is an 84-year-old man who's lived in this suburb for 40 years...and been brutally assaulted in his front yard.

"They are horrific, horrific injuries that this man has sustained to his face. People should be able to feel safe in their own homes."

Police have been told there were several disturbances on Derisleigh Street, Henry Street, Burge Way, Railway Parade and Central Terrace in the hour either side of the 84-year-old's attack.

Western Australia Police

Authorities have so far identified two men aged 25 and 35-years-old who were in the area at the same time and they're currently 'of interest' in the investigation.

They believe a weapon was used in the attack and a bloodied side window has been handed in by the neighbours to help them in their enquiries. Police also say the 84-year-old's car window was smashed.

Detectives haven't yet been able to speak to the victim as his injuries are still too severe.

Acting Detective Sergeant Alexandra Hill said his family have been told about the attack and are understandably 'very shaken up'.

"They are devastated ... It's been a very long week for them," she said.

Detectives are urging anyone who was in the area between 6pm and 8pm, who saw the assault or has CCTV or dash-cam vision to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make a report online.

Featured Image Credit: Western Australia Police

Topics: News, Australia