| Last updated
The FBI has confirmed human remains discovered yesterday (October 21) belong to fugitive Brian Laundrie.
Authorities issued a statement, saying: "A comparison of dental records confirmed that the human remains found at the T. Mabry Carlton, Jr. Memorial Reserve and Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park are those of Brian Laundrie."
It comes after 'apparent human remains' were found near to the Carlton Reserve in Florida, which has been the focal point for the search for Brian Laundrie since his disappearance following the death of Gabby Petito.
The location of the remains was previously underwater and the FBI said they've now been able to examine them and cross reference the dental records.
Brian's parents had taken police and FBI agents to the location where 'some articles belonging to Brian were found'.
Laundrie family attorney Steve Bertolino told Fox News: "Chris and Roberta Laundrie have been informed that the remains found yesterday in the reserve are indeed Brian's.
Police discovered 'items' belonging to Laundrie earlier. Credit: Fox News
"We have no further comment at this time and we ask you to respect the Laundrie family's privacy at this time."
Both the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park and Carlton Reserve are a short drive from Laundrie's family home.
Laundrie is a 'person of interest' in the homicide of his late partner Petito, and has been missing since September 14.
His disappearance has sparked one of the most well-publicised manhunts in recent US history.
He told his parents he was off for a solo hike around the Carlton Reserve, before disappearing completely.
Gabby Petito. Credit: PA
Previously, he and Petito had been travelling the national parks of the USA together, but Petito was reported missing and her body was later discovered in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.
The coroner revealed that her death was a homicide, and that she was killed by strangulation.
Several sightings of Laundrie were reported, but none have so far proven to be credible.
The FBI, as well as North Port Police, have been scouring the Carlton Reserve and surrounding areas in their search for the missing 23-year-old, but had so far turned nothing up.
Aerial pictures from TV networks have shown that a tent has been erected at the scene where these latest discoveries have been made.
Featured Image Credit: The Moab Police Department
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read