An Australian girl has suffered chemical burns on her tongue after eating a sour lolly.
Willow Wright chucked roughly 10 Extreme Sour Warheads into her mouth and didn't think anything of it.
However, as the candy was doing its thing, the young Melbourne girl said she started feeling like something was wrong.
Her hunch was correct as the lollies sparked a chemical reaction on her tongue that caused horrifying burns.
The burns ended up creating a large divot on her tongue after the skin literally peeled off.
Willow's mum, Kirsty Wright, burst into tears and expressed how shocked she was seeing her daughter so distressed.
Kirsty said: "I just wanted to make aware to parents how dangerous these lollies are...I've never seen this before."
Willow was rushed to the doctor to see if anything could be done, however the GP explained that they could only really suggest ice and Panadol to cool the swelling.
Dental Association of Australia's Jonathon Teo has since issued a warning to parents that kids should avoid these lollies in large quantities.
"The sour warhead lollies, in particular, can be very dangerous," he told 9News. "Products with this level of acid or PH can cause chemical burns to cheeks and tongue."
Willow isn't the first person to suffer a horrific injury to her tongue because of sour lollies.
A California boy called Chase experienced the exact same type of chemical burn on his tongue after sucking on an Extreme Sour Warhead.
His grandmother wrote on Facebook as a warning to other parents: "This is the result of our grandson, Chase's tongue after eating one of these candies. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THESE TO YOUR CHILDREN!"
The Extreme Sour Warheads come with a warning that states 'eating multiple pieces in a short time period' can cause 'irritation' on sensitive tongues.
A spokesperson from Warhead's parent company, Impact Confections Inc., told Yahoo7 people need to make sure they aren't consuming too much.
"We produce only high-quality products that meet all FDA guidelines for PH levels and ingredients, and when eaten normally, consumers enjoy them with no issues," she said.
"We receive very few complaints regarding our products, but when we do, we take these complaints seriously.
"To ensure a fun and enjoyable eating experience, a voluntary statement is printed on every package."
Featured Image Credit: Channel 9
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read