Neil Young Sues Trump Campaign For Using His Music At Rallies
Legendary rocker Neil Young has filed a lawsuit against the Trump campaign for using his music without permission.
The Canadian artist alleges 'Rockin' in the Free World' and 'Devil's Sidewalk' were used at the US President's rally in Tulsa without a licence.
But that's not the first time Young's music has been used by the Trump campaign at different events.
The 74-year-old has lodged a copyright infringement complaint in New York federal court in the hope his music will no longer be used by the President or anyone from his administration without prior approval.
The filing said: "This complaint is not intended to disrespect the rights and opinions of American citizens, who are free to support the candidate of their choosing.
"However, Plaintiff in good conscience cannot allow his music to be used as a 'theme song' for a divisive, un-American campaign of ignorance and hate."
Young says the Trump campaign has 'continuously and publicly' used his music without his permission, adding: "The Campaign has wilfully ignored Plaintiff's telling it not to play the songs and wilfully proceeded to play the songs despite a lack of license."
His legal team are now seeking statutory damages for copyright infringement.
The 'Heart of Gold' singer has previously revealed his heartache at seeing his music being used by people he didn't want.
More Like ThisMore Like This
In a blogpost, Young wrote. "Imaging what it feels like to hear Rockin' in the Free World after this president speaks, like it is his theme song," he wrote. 'I did not write it for that."
But he's not the only artist to hit back at the Trump campaign using his music.
Linkin Park issued a cease and desist order to Donald Trump last month over the use of their song 'In the End'.
Linkin Park did not and does not endorse Trump, nor authorize his organization to use any of our music. A cease and desist has been issued.- LINKIN PARK (@linkinpark) July 19, 2020
The rock group took to Twitter after the president shared a campaign-style video featuring the 2001 track, which had been tweeted by Dan Scavino, the White House social media director.
A spokesperson for the band said they had not given permission for the President or his campaign team to use their material.
The band's tweet said: "Linkin Park did not and does not endorse Trump, nor authorise his organisation to use any of our music. A cease and desist has been issued."
A spokesperson for Twitter told The Guardian that the social media site takes copyright claims very seriously.
The statement said: "We respond to valid copyright complaints sent to us by a copyright owner or their authorised representatives."
Subsequently, the clip was disabled by Twitter, with the video replaced by a message which reads: "This media has been disabled in response to a report by the copyright owner."
Featured Image Credit: PA