| Last updated
One of Australia's most notorious gang rapists has been granted parole and will be released within weeks.
Mohammed Skaf has spent the last two decades behind bars for a being part of the terrifying Skaf Gang, led by his brother Bilal, who raped numerous women in 2000.
Skaf was just 17 when he and members of the gang would entice women with the offer of drugs, before brutally assaulting them.
In one instance, Skaf led the gang to rape an 18-year-old woman, where she was sexually assaulted 40 times by up to 14 men. She was called an 'Aussie pig' during the torment.
Skaf was originally handed a 32-year jail sentence for the shocking sexual assaults and rapes, however that was slashed to 19 years by the Court of Criminal Appeal.
He was then charged with a second gang rape, meaning his full sentence was upgraded to 22 years, 11 days and 30 days.
It meant he was to spend a total of 22 years, 11 months and 30 days in jail, with the sentence to end on January 1, 2024.
However in a shock twist, he's been granted parole and will be released no later than October 8.
The State Parole Authority said in a statement: "Freeing Skaf at the end of his full 23-year sentence without extensive monitoring and conditions, would pose an unacceptable risk.
"The Authority acknowledges the distress the parole decision may cause his victims and the wider community. Careful consideration has been given to the difficult task of reintegrating him into the community."
He's been housed in the Kirkconnell Correctional Centre near Bathurst for the past two decades, where he has been a minimum security prisoner.
Skaf was told he would get parole if he completed a course called RUSH - Real Understanding of Self-Help, according to News Corp.
Former District Court judge Michael Finnane QC told The Daily Telegraph the now 38-year-old has previously shown no remorse.
"The judge who heads the Parole Board is a very experienced and capable criminal lawyer and judge and I feel sure he will not lightly agree to the release of Mohammed Skaf," Mr Finnane said.
"What concerns me is that according to reports of the Parole Board hearings, Mohammed Skaf has never expressed any remorse. That could mean that he is a continuing threat.
According to The Australian, Skaf has denied responsibility for his attacks and even blamed his victims.
He will be released from prison under strict parole conditions.
He will be electronically monitored, be force to undergo counselling and is banned from entering the LGA's of Liverpool, Fairfield, Blacktown and Parramatta.
Featured Image Credit: Supplied
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read